Figuring out my 69 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Figuring out my 69

I took over a project from someone else who tore down a 69 convertible and sent the engine and trans out to be rebuilt. I've got a body, a block that looks clean and looks like it has some new parts and a clean transmission that's supposed to have been rebuilt.

I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out but I have a few question. My major concern now is that as I bolt all the top end stuff onto the block, that I don't miss anything. I didn't take it apart and it's been a few years since I've been this far into an old, GM engine. Without some illustrations and blow ups of all the parts and pieces, I risk missing some seal or washer that I would have seen if I took it apart.

I have the DVD service manual for the car but it doesn't give the detail I need. I'm looking for a set of diagrams that show all the parts. I know how to do the work so I don't really need step by step overhaul instructions. I don't need anything for the trans. I have my fingers crossed.

The other question I'm trying to figure out right now is probably pretty simple. I have the transmission crossbar, when the time comes I should be able to figure out which side goes toward the front and which side goes to the back.

The real question is how do the ends of the cross bar attach to the frame? If there were holes in it I'd look for places to bolt it but there are no holes.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Figured it out

No one came forward but I got it figured out anyway. I need some more engine advice I'll explain in another post.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I guess I just missed your original post - glad you got it figured out.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Don't forget the fuel pump eccentric and oil pump shaft. I forgot both of those way back when I was 16 on the first engine I ever I built, and I discovered it after it was in the car! I've never forgotten them again, though!

'67 GTO 400 H.O. - 4 speed - 3.55 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in