FINALLY installed my pertronix ignitor III and coil - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
FINALLY installed my pertronix ignitor III and coil

unbelieveable, I know, but it's in there. got the sucker christmastime last year, then waited on the backordered flamethrower III coil, got that two days before i shipped out and...long story short, 11 months later it's finally in the car.

first off, many many thanks to 68greengoat for helping me out along the way and answering my dozens of emails to get this thing installed.

now on to the good stuff,

seriously wish i'd done this earlier. car fires over without a hiccup now, just crank, vrooom, and smooooooth idle. engine became way more responsive to my throttle inputs. had to take her out for a quick spin of course, and found very quickly that the responsive throttle would translate to lots of squeeling rubber. the rev limiter kicks in right around 65 in 1st gear which is a helluvalot of of fun (but should probably wait till after a rebuild before i go pushing it too often.

the install went slow (as i mentioned i had tons of questions), and the best recommendation i can make (sorry troy, i'm disputing your knowledge here) is to put the rubber grommet in from the bottom of the distributor first, then snake the two pertronix wires through the top. had to lube the grommet up a bit with some oil i had laying around, but it got in there eventually. also, managed to pull a back muscle reaching from the fender to the center of the firewall, not sure how to avoid that but hey...just a warning.

one other thing i found interesting is how much quieter the exhaust got. smoother running yes, but surprised it toned it down.

i'll be running her out to san antonio this weekend (if i fix the gas gauge before then) so will let you all know whether the claims of improved MPG are true or not.

so once again, thanks to green goat for the help along the way, now i just need to get my new intake set up and a posi out back. think that'll be enough for me

Last edited by xcmac26; 11-10-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: wanted to throw in a bit more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Will that trip be with the top up, or down????

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You'll not get better MPG, cause with the increased throttle response you're going to be working that responsive gas pedal way more then you use to.

I'd expect at least 2MPG increase on the highway.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:06 AM

Garage
I like that one too..."my new ignition MAKES my rear tires squeal"

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
Will that trip be with the top up, or down????

Down, hoping the weather holds together through the weekend. still waiting on delivery of a new hook and knuckle for the driver's side, and my body by fisher book hasn't arrived either.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Garage

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just put in the pertronix ignitor I and it now doesn't take as long to fire up, 2-3 cranks compared to 5-6 it use to. I'm wondering if I should add the coil as well though.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
You haven't got the intake and carb on yet?? That will really wake the car up and kill the MPG, lol..
Without a gas gauge I would estimate 10 MPG, have a spare five in the trunk and go. Fill it up when it gets to half tank and adjust the MPG based on that. The 2 barrel should get good mileage. Congrats on the ignition upgrade, nice.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks Steve! Always willing to help out where and when I can....

I did the wires thru the grommet b/4 installing the grommet, because for me, it worked out the best. I tried installing the grommet first, but for the life of me, I couldn't get the wires thru. Ya, stretching out to reach everything was a pain, literally. Well worth the effort tho.......

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

x - get the coil, the flamethrower III only ran me about 35 bucks, but the backorder damn near killed me.

jetstang - i got about 14 mpg highway before the ignitor, sky's the limit! haha. The intake is heading to the shop to be blasted and anodized, just need to pick a color, after that it'll go on there and i'll never have to worry about cleaning it again

goat - hey what can i say, younger eyes maybe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in