Fine 69, all mine.... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fine 69, all mine....

Ok, she started life as a base 69 GTO with automatic and black vinyl roof factory AC car.

I got her with an engine built to RAIII specs, an M20 with Hurst shifter, a spoiler and no vinyl roof.

I had the opposite experience in HS. For 800$ I got a 69 that was oringally a RA car 4 speed (I was told), but had a tire 350, and beat TH350, and a non RA hood when I got it. I could bare afford to keep it running a couple of years, its long gone, and I can't find it.

I added the RA bracket, cable, flappers, etc., some appearance touches,
an 8 track-
and with the exception of hood pins, every thing I plan to do appearance wise done. Next I'll work on getting the heat and AC working.

Ok, I went from 14x6 Rally IIs all the way around with p22570s.
I kept those up front.

I restored a pair of 15x7 Rally IIs (take that green party and cash for clunkers, how many of them have keep 4000 or so pounds of vehicle and parts out of the scrap yard. We are the damn environmentalists, not them. Their toxic batteries and power cells filling land fills will be the end of the environment some day.)

the PMD caps are not fitting the 15x7s tight, so the arrowhead caps I had laying around are on for now.

I went with R15 p275/60s. A classic look for muscle in my opinion is taller, wider, and a little more sidewall in the rear compared to the front. You gain about 1.5 inches in diameter/ .75 in height, 1.8 inches in width, and .25 inches of sidewall in the rear compared to the front in this combo on these rim sizes.

Just the look I was going for, plus a couple hundred less rpms at cruising speed.

Have not had the wife, spare, and all the kids in the trunk, and hit bumps at speed, but think I am going to be OK. (you know what I mean, wife and three kids get seats, spare in the trunk)

My "Day Two" look I was going for is complete.

I know the hood scoops, hood tach, and spoiler are suppossed to be body color.
I know it is supposed to be 14 inch rims all around, no trim rings for a Judge, and PMD caps in back (which if I get them to fit tight will put on),

I know it is not supposed to have "GTO 400 CID" gloss black stickers and gloss black The Judge stickers on the spoiler, extra stickers on the rear window, the split exhaust tips, etc.
should be a blacked out front grill, etc.
Not going for a factory correct show appearance. Going for the look you had in the 70s and 80s when you got your hands on one.

She is not set up for speed on the drag strip, and is no valuable true Judge, and not restored to museum show winning standards. but its a real GTO I am putting like 500 miles a month on. If it was any of the three types I mentioned, I doubt people would drive it so much. I drive it at night and in the rain if need be. I can't say it is my daily driver, but once i get the heat fixed, ac fixed, gauge lights working again, and the wiper switch 100 percent instead of 90 percent reliable- it may be getting more than 500 miles a month.

these are not balloons, these are how old school muscle looks

ok, maybe I do need hood pins,
but that will be the last thing for appearance. I swear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
looks very nice. only two suggestions 1 remove the sticker pak on the window 2 get a matching brand of tire all around ( not the size just the same kind) just my opinion though
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I must agree with Crusty, the stickers gotta go. They don't add anything to an already great looking car. I really like the black matte parts. Breaks up the nice shiny red really well. Good job. Eventually, I plan on putting in hood pins too. Just like the hood pin look............ How many times do you think you're going to be asked, "Is it a real Judge"?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

tires will end up matching, going to wear down the fronts and then replace them with firehawks also. you guys are dead on for that. Thanks for the feedback.

I was originally going to put the black vinyl top on like it left the factory with, and not clone it out. But it already had the spoiler and the judge decals were easier and less harsh on the car in the long run than the vinyl top.

I used to get aksed if it was a real GTO. Now I get asked if its a real Judge. I tell them to check the VIN, it starts with 242, and let me know what they think.

9 out of 10 people that ask about the car are, like me, just a fan of vintage muscle cars and happy to check it out. that one out of ten I think are just trying to be mean. they are the same ones that point out the hood scoops and spoiler should be body color- true, its the wrong exhaust tips-ture, and ram cars did not have AC - only true for IV, you could get it with III, and other buzz kill attempts.

Let's see, I got three kids in the back in swimsuits coming from the pool, a surprise shower has soaked the car, they are eating ice cream in the back, I am running late, I'm driving in the dark with T3 head lights, bags of stuff from running errands are in the front seat, and I'm blaring CCR on the 8 track I drilled into the factory AC ducting to mount- and we could not be happier.

I can't afford a real 69 Daytona Charger no more than I could a numbers matching 69 RAIV Judge, but when I make one it will be just as fun!

Sorry about the sticker pack, but its done on purpose. I want guys to get flashbacks to the 70s and 80s. And that's part of the scene for me. I agree it does nothing to improve appearance. It just adds to authentic old school styling though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
Let's see, I got three kids in the back in swimsuits coming from the pool, a surprise shower has soaked the car, they are eating ice cream in the back, I am running late, I'm driving in the dark with T3 head lights, bags of stuff from running errands are in the front seat, and I'm blaring CCR on the 8 track I drilled into the factory AC ducting to mount- and we could not be happier.
Go for you. That's what it's all about. Family fun!cool
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
Ok, she started life as a base 69 GTO with automatic and black vinyl roof factory AC car.

I got her with an engine built to RAIII specs, an M20 with Hurst shifter, a spoiler and no vinyl roof.

I had the opposite experience in HS. For 800$ I got a 69 that was oringally a RA car 4 speed (I was told), but had a tire 350, and beat TH350, and a non RA hood when I got it. I could bare afford to keep it running a couple of years, its long gone, and I can't find it.

I added the RA bracket, cable, flappers, etc., some appearance touches,
an 8 track-
and with the exception of hood pins, every thing I plan to do appearance wise done. Next I'll work on getting the heat and AC working.

Ok, I went from 14x6 Rally IIs all the way around with p22570s.
I kept those up front.

I restored a pair of 15x7 Rally IIs (take that green party and cash for clunkers, how many of them have keep 4000 or so pounds of vehicle and parts out of the scrap yard. We are the damn environmentalists, not them. Their toxic batteries and power cells filling land fills will be the end of the environment some day.)

the PMD caps are not fitting the 15x7s tight, so the arrowhead caps I had laying around are on for now.

I went with R15 p275/60s. A classic look for muscle in my opinion is taller, wider, and a little more sidewall in the rear compared to the front. You gain about 1.5 inches in diameter/ .75 in height, 1.8 inches in width, and .25 inches of sidewall in the rear compared to the front in this combo on these rim sizes.

Just the look I was going for, plus a couple hundred less rpms at cruising speed.

Have not had the wife, spare, and all the kids in the trunk, and hit bumps at speed, but think I am going to be OK. (you know what I mean, wife and three kids get seats, spare in the trunk)

My "Day Two" look I was going for is complete.

I know the hood scoops, hood tach, and spoiler are suppossed to be body color.
I know it is supposed to be 14 inch rims all around, no trim rings for a Judge, and PMD caps in back (which if I get them to fit tight will put on),

I know it is not supposed to have "GTO 400 CID" gloss black stickers and gloss black The Judge stickers on the spoiler, extra stickers on the rear window, the split exhaust tips, etc.
should be a blacked out front grill, etc.
Not going for a factory correct show appearance. Going for the look you had in the 70s and 80s when you got your hands on one.

She is not set up for speed on the drag strip, and is no valuable true Judge, and not restored to museum show winning standards. but its a real GTO I am putting like 500 miles a month on. If it was any of the three types I mentioned, I doubt people would drive it so much. I drive it at night and in the rain if need be. I can't say it is my daily driver, but once i get the heat fixed, ac fixed, gauge lights working again, and the wiper switch 100 percent instead of 90 percent reliable- it may be getting more than 500 miles a month.

these are not balloons, these are how old school muscle looks

ok, maybe I do need hood pins,
but that will be the last thing for appearance. I swear
great looking gto, must make you proud...enjoy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 AM

ok i get it leave the stickers on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in