LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
First Show Today

On a whim I took the beast and entered it in a show this afternoon. It was the first time ever for me, and one of those deals where all the participants vote on each others cars. We all got ballots to vote for our 10 favorite.
It looked like there were a lot of buddies there who all knew each other, probably do this together from week to week.
They tallied the votes, then awarded trophys for Top 20, Top 10, and Best In Show.

I got a Top 20 Trophy

The most satisfying though was the number of other participants who commented on and asked about the paint, then were wide-eyed when I said I'd done it myself, in my garage, and it was my first ever paint job.

Bear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trophy.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	13031  

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats on the first of many.........trophies that is. And painting ain't easy either! E

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
eat it up and soak it in, you earned it Bear. Shows i went to were class shows, and its hard to fit our cars into a class. Resto-mod, Musclecar...etc. How about Home Built...., I know i won't win any shows but i also enjoy the "you did that yourself.....?" doubters ...ohhh and the "My cousin Vinny" comments about about the Tempest and mostly seeing what others have done with their cars. Cannot count the times i have come out of the corner store on a beer run and walked out to someone circling the car slowly.....makes all that hard work worth it to have a guy say i had one of those when i was a kid and see the memories flashing back in the smile on his face.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
The shows are fun, it's always a little rush when they call your name and you go up and claim your trophy. I've been to a lot of those shows where a bunch of guys are voting for each others cars, it's a bunch of crap. I really don't care that much about the trophies but enjoy the shows, talking with people and checking out what everyone else brought. I'm really enjoying this GTO I bought this spring, around here you just don't see that many of them at shows, especially the 68-69 models. Seems the 66 & 67 are the most popular. I've always wanted a '67, I've got a 68 and use to have a 70. If I could afford it I'd have all the 64 -70 models. There's just something about a GTO that makes people say "Sweet."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
There was only one other Pontiac there, a really sweet 1938 sedan - metallic copper paint - gorgeous. I was disappointed when I walked around front and saw the late model injected sbc in it though

Then very late in the afternoon a pair of "Smokey and the Bandit" era Trans Ams showed up. One black, one gold. I didn't get to look at them very close but they looked to be in pretty good condition - bone stock as far as I could tell.

There were some very cool cars there, including a 67 Galaxie 500 XL --- 427. A 70 GS 350, one turbo Buick GS, a 68 GT500 Mustang, several late model Mustangs and Camaros (including one with the Kitt Nightrider lights up front), a smattering of tri-5 chevys, a ZR1 vette, a mid 40's Olds --- I should have taken some photos.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 PM

Garage
Congrats Bear!! Car shows are fun, as long as they have a beer tent..
Top 20 is cool!

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 AM

Congratulations. And thanks for all the good advice. I can always count on something from BearGFR every time I have a question.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Nice...congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in