Float Problem?? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Float Problem??

I have a 64 GTO and recently sent my original Rochester carbs (tri power) to Holley to have them rebuilt, replated, refurbished, etc. The good thing is that they look great. The bad thing is that after I got them back on the car, I got the car to run (and not well I might add) for about 15 min before it quit. Now when I crank the engine, gas pours out of the bowl vent onto my newly painted engine and it will only run for about 5 seconds before flooding out. My first guess was to (even though I put on a new fuel filter and fresh gas in the tank) take the top off and clean out the bowl and needle and seat valve. I blew everything out with compressed air and there was no visible dirt or the like anywhere. I got it all back together and there is no change. I haven't done anything since except call Holley. They said to send it back and they would fix it which is good. However, I haven't driven the car in 6 months and winter is approaching and I really wnat to take her out for a spin. My only other guess is that the float is out of adjustment but that seems unlikely. My question(s) to the forum is: what is the correct float setting so I can check and adjust it if necessary so I can drive this damn car before the weather hits and I go nuts? If it's not the float, does anybody have any other suggestions before I send it back? Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would venture to guess that when they rebuilt the carbs they possible used one of the outboard floats in the center carb or they could have used a center float for a 66 which is not the same as 64 and 65.

Randy

Last edited by 05GTO; 11-01-2007 at 10:56 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 04:45 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Showgoat67 Send a message via MSN to Showgoat67
OK the easy way to set the float is turn the screw all the way out almost and turn nut to tighten.Let the carb fill up with gas to make sure you have the proper float level take the large screw out of the side of the carb and shake the car a little bit if a little bit of gas spills out your right there if no gas comes out re adjust screw on top of carb until you get the result i was telling you.

kenny

If it isnt a GTO then why are you driving it.[email protected]

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
my tri-power carbs don`t have that gas level sighting screw and needle adjustment. I think your thinking of other Holley carbs.
I`ve always had good luck holding the needle solid in the seat and then bend the float arms to make the float just slightly lower then level.
Welcome to the forums maddoe!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Leaky float

I took the top of the carb off one more time to see if the float was out of adustment. I'm not sure what prompted me to do so, but I shook the top and could hear gas sloshing around inside of the float. That has to be the poblem. I've heard of people soldering a leaky float - is it worth even trying to do that?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The local parts store should be able to get you one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in