Flowkooler divider plate gapping. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Flowkooler divider plate gapping.

I’ve got a new Flowkooler water pump with a new set of S/S divider plates for a Pontiac 400. Has anyone here used one of these and how do you gauge or set the proper gap between the divider plate and the impeller? As it’s not the same as the impeller style on the old pump. Do you just gap it still at 1/16 of an inch off the flat impeller surface?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25FD7811-FE76-4C93-B2DC-CD21D313D581_1569077394450.png
Views:	32
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	121427  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:05 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
That's what I would do. 1/16-1/8" and you should be just fine.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:04 AM

I agree, that is what everything I have read suggests, especially with the older 8 bolt systems. Hopefully, you will see great cooling with your new installation.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I bought the Flow Kooler for my rebuild I did last spring with new S/S dividers. I gapped the one against the impeller to the thickness of the gasket, installed it and no difference on the overheating problem. Just wondering if there was a different gap guys have done with these vs. the stock. I’ve played with everything on this new engine to drop the temperature down with no luck. Timing, shroud sealing, water pump (gapping), anti-freeze additive, carb enrichment, fan spacing, 7 blade fan all to no avail. The only thing I’ve not changed is the radiator (which was recently rebuilt). The car just keeps getting hot when sitting in traffic. I think the original (smaller non-air cond.) is just not enough to cool the engine?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
tranny cooler ??
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Of course all cars get bit hotter while idling a long time, but when it. Gets too hot it is a common symptom of a bad fan clutch.

They slowly deteriorate, leaking the silicone fluid out. Make sure you have the “Thermostatic fan clutch”, they make 2 types that look almost identical. One is RPM driven and will not cool good at idle in traffic even when new.

Look at the front radiator side of the clutch, if it is smooth it is an RPM clutch if it has the spring it is thermostatic.

Feel the fan blades, try to do that with the engine off, ......and see if it is oily from leaking silicone. Even a slight deterioration of the seal will cause you to run hot at idle.

Make sure your fender well rubber mats are in place as well as they effect the air flow, distance of fan to radiator matters and half in and out of shroud....a partially opened thermostat may also cause you to run hotter.

If your cooling is good at speed then look at those things. A bigger four core radiator with extra wide downtubes helps too, “High efficiency”

Hang in there you will get it
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 10:37 AM

I feel your pain. I've been through these struggles as well with my 65. I ultimately cut the radiator brace and lowered it a few inches so I could fit in the larger radiator. That's probably a last resort but it did help with my cooling problems. Pontiac Jim would be impressed that I was willing to fabricate something. However, if he saw how ugly mine turned out, he would laugh. I'm sure it can be done to look more presentable than mine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Lemans Guy, sorry, forgot to add that to the list. The clutch has been replaced, still no change 🙁. I’ve also tried different thermostats (hole drilled in them also btw). The car runs 190 down the road all day regardless of outside temps. Stop in traffic and up it goes. Bump the throttle up it helps cool a little, turn the heater to max and it helps a little. The only thing I can figure is the radiator is too small or they painted way too much paint on it when I had it rebuilt?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Us Radiator sells a four core radiator and you can buy extra large downtubes, it will fit and look eaxact to original, but won’t say “Harrison” on top....all copper they are expensive, like $700. I use one put it on a few years back cools great and will fit like original.

They are knowledgeable and helpful if you call them and know the different Pontiac mounts and measurements. Might be worth talking to them they are in Southern California.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you tried Evans waterless coolant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in