User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Found a complete 70 455 Ram air? need help

I found a documented 70 gto with ram air that is phs doc and I have the build sheet from under the gas tank stating such but I cannot find any info on them existing. Everyone tells me there is no such thing from the factory or that it is a judge. Further more it is 4 spd with ac. Any info on finding the value of this guy? It needs full resto but is complete and is in good straight shape. Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The Ram Air engine option was only on the 400cid. However a 455 cid car could order the optional Ram Air Hood option (code 601) even though the engine itself is not Ram Air.

Did you purchase the PHS or was it provided to you with the car? What is the code on the build sheet that tells you that you have a RA 455?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, they had them. We just had a recent discussion on the same topic. Do a search for "YC stamped engine in 1970 GTO?" and you can read it.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 PM

This is just my opinion but the 455 was never advertised as a Ram Air because it had standard exhaust manifolds where the 400 Ram Air engines had all the Ram Air components making them the complete Ram Air package engine. I guess you can say that 455s are Ram Air inductions since they did have a special carb and intake but lacked the exhaust.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 12:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger that View Post
This is just my opinion but the 455 was never advertised as a Ram Air because it had standard exhaust manifolds where the 400 Ram Air engines had all the Ram Air components making them the complete Ram Air package engine. I guess you can say that 455s are Ram Air inductions since they did have a special carb and intake but lacked the exhaust.

Agreed. It seems it was a package that included the specific carb mated to the Ram Air induction. Looking at the Wallace Racing website, the Ram Air exhaust manifolds were not part of the package -they were the same as the standard 400CI, non-RA. (However, the 1971 Judge was delivered with the standard 455 HO Ram Air engine which included the aluminum intake & Ram Air exhaust manifolds.) The non-Ram Air 455 engines had a different carb number. Only one HP level is given for either engine - 360HP. What I find interesting is that the same 455 in the Grand Prix was rated at 370HP.

Chevy, Olds, & Buick were all planning on installing engines over 450CI in their A-bodies, so Pontiac had to keep up with the competition. As 1970 was the first year of the 455 and buyers were already familiar with the RA option on the 400CI, my guess would be it was a marketing ploy by Pontiac to get buyers to opt for the 455 as a performance option even though the 360HP was rated at a low 4600 RPM's while the RA III was rated at 366HP @ the 5100RPM's. Perhaps the 455 did indeed make 370HP at 5100 RPM's (which was also the redline on the tach), but it's power rating was kept lower for insurance reasons.

The Jan. 1970 Car & Driver road test of the 455 GTO stated:
"They could have screwed on the big port heads and plugged in the long duration camshaft from the Ram Air IV; that stuff will all fit. It probably would have made the GTO go like a nickel rocket too, but they knew better than to do that. The business of collecting up the spent GTOs that would have fallen along the wayside after a short, dazzling flash and reloading them(with new engines -my interpretation) on warranty was out of the question. Consequently, the 455 is a torquey, low revving device that makes very little ruckus and works great with an air conditioner. Pontiac very definitely wants you to keep the revs down so the tach has a 5100 rpm redline and a 3.31-to-one axle ratio is standard (w/4-speed, 3.07 w/auto, with 3.55 by special order and nothing more)."

So this review would also indicate that Pontiac was concerned with warranty engine replacements if they had really gone big on the HP knowing that GTO buyers would have been over revving them and blowing them up. The RA 400's could take higher revving and were built for such.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger that View Post
The Ram Air engine option was only on the 400cid. However a 455 cid car could order the optional Ram Air Hood option (code 601) even though the engine itself is not Ram Air.

Did you purchase the PHS or was it provided to you with the car? What is the code on the build sheet that tells you that you have a RA 455?

Yes it has that option 601. It does have the ram air pull lever inside the cab as well. How many of these were made? The guys at pontiac said there was only 15 with ac and 4spd. How do I validate that? Is the car worth anything? Thanks guys!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Here is what she has.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1428178926901.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	997.6 KB
ID:	54666   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1428178971230.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	980.1 KB
ID:	54674   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1428179034910.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	54682  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 05:00 PM

You can't argue with the build sheet and billing history card.

WA engine is the 455 HO L75

WR carb is the Ram Air carb used with the L75

DP is the M21 4 speed close ratio trans. It looks like there were 2 M21s available . DL used for 3.90 and lower gears and then your DP which was used for the higher gears. You could not use the DL with the Air condition option.

The axle code of WU also supports the 455 L75 option 4 speed. This is the 3.31 code non posi. All other cars with A/C and non L75 engine could only get 3.23 gears as the lowest gear option on the A/C option. If you had an auto trans with the L75 then the gear ratio would have been 3.07.

I'm sure your car is rare as is. I don't have any numbers to give you.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 09:30 AM

Garage
"The guys at pontiac said there was only 15 with ac and 4spd. Is the car worth anything?"

Nope, not worth a darn thing. Don't waste your money on it. Where are you located? I'll come and pick it up and take it off your hands before you throw your money away on such a "money pit" project car like that.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know where I can find the value of this "moneypit"? Trying to decide whether to just sell it or find the funds to restore it. If I go that route to what level do I take it to? Color is not a desirable color - sierra yellow with a white cordova top and saddle interior - is it better to do a color change that is more desirable? I would love to keep it but I fear that it will just be one of those projects that will sit until I have the time and money. Having both at the same time could equal a long time from now lol. Just trying to weigh my options. I'm new to the whole pontiac scene but am quickly starting to appreciate them. I also have a 1970 black on black numbers matching 4spd that is a driver and love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in