User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quadrajet numbers - '69 GTO 400

Allright, so based on another topic I posted (slight fuel overflow issue of some type) I started poking around my carb... and not finding anything near what i was expecting. I am hoping for a simple answer but I believe the ultimate decision is just going to be purchasing a replacement Carb.

Quadrajet #17080213 (these markings are scored out with 4 deep lines so this build looks like it was on purpose )
from what I have researched this mean:
1980, 4bbl, Q-Jet, Chevy, Manual Trans.
and
2032 CPX stamped under the quad#.

A few things are off here.. 1. its got a Pontiac style fuel inlet (i thought this was a part of the casting and not adaptable)... 2. my car is an automatic (th700r4 currently). 3. from what I have seen this carb would normally have a electronic choke, and thats not the case here.

But, after looking more... The carb looks like a stock 69 to my untrained eye

Pictures: carb - Album on Imgur (ignore the exposed wires... thats a separate routing / protection issue I will take care of)

So, real world experiance... is this worth resolving whatever the fuel overflow issue is... or just buying a new quadrajet like this one from SMI or another source.

Last edited by Tweist; 02-13-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
also... I have come across some random info with 1705 carbs being '68-69 service replacements {thread}
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:13 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Garage
It appears to be a 1980 and up carb. Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets :: Quadrajet Part Numbers - Carburetor Numbers - Carb Rebuilding, Quadrajet Rebuild Kits, Bushing Kits - Parts

The lines struck through it may have been done by some rebuilding company/supplier, as well as the new stamping, but that's a guess. It is possible the center section was a "donor" to the rest of the carb. You would have to start comparing to other later model Q-jets or get part numbers off of some of the parts.

Being 1980's and up, it has to be calibrated for emissions in some form or another. Personal opinion -ditch the carb and get one from the 1960's or early 1970's. Just make sure it is NOT a Chevy carb. You can use other Q-jets from other makes as long as it has the same fuel inlet, and the throttle cable will hook up like a Pontiac carb. I got a nice clean rebuilder from a Buick 350 last summer at a swap meet for $25.00. Anything that isn't Chevy, usually goes higher in price, so I could not pass it up.

If you are not comfortable rebuilding the Q-jet, plus your cost to purchase a used piece, plus the rebuild kit/brass float, and the possibility of problems once all is said and done, you might want to simply buy a rebuilt Q-jet for your application and bolt it on and go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in