fuel line problem - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fuel line problem

The fuel in my supply line keeps draining back through the line and into the tank. I have to disconnect the supply line at the fuel pump and suck on the the line to get it primed so the pump can do its job and I am getting tired of the taste of gas. It seems like the line is completely drained and I see no gas on the garage floor so I don't believe that it is leaking anywere.

Is there a backflow valve anywhere in the fuel system that might be worn out or is it just bad fuel lines? Shouldn't the fuel pump keep it from draining out?

I trust the forum more than I trust my mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotyorgoat View Post
The fuel in my supply line keeps draining back through the line and into the tank. I have to disconnect the supply line at the fuel pump and suck on the the line to get it primed so the pump can do its job and I am getting tired of the taste of gas. It seems like the line is completely drained and I see no gas on the garage floor so I don't believe that it is leaking anywere.

Is there a backflow valve anywhere in the fuel system that might be worn out or is it just bad fuel lines? Shouldn't the fuel pump keep it from draining out?

I trust the forum more than I trust my mechanic.
the only backflow valve is in the pump itself. i would replace the pump. they are cheap.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
And while you're at it, check all the rubber lines for hairline cracks. Air can enter the hoses, even if they don't leak fuel, and it allows the fuel to flow back into the tank, and keeps fuel from being drawn into the pump. Sort of like trying to drink from a straw with a hole in the side. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in