fuel pump - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fuel pump

I need some assistnace. My 68 GTO runs well, however it will surge when cruising and accelerating. It is a 400, 4 barrel, 4 speed, 355 rearend, new 750 edlebrock carb, edlebrock performer intake, new thumer comp cam (475 lift, 107 lobe seperation), manual fuel pump. Starts up and idles just fine, but will hesitate and surge when cruising down the road. I have always ran a manual fuel pump and had no problems. Any ideas?? Do I need an electric pump?Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons68 View Post
I need some assistnace. My 68 GTO runs well, however it will surge when cruising and accelerating. It is a 400, 4 barrel, 4 speed, 355 rearend, new 750 edlebrock carb, edlebrock performer intake, new thumer comp cam (475 lift, 107 lobe seperation), manual fuel pump. Starts up and idles just fine, but will hesitate and surge when cruising down the road. I have always ran a manual fuel pump and had no problems. Any ideas?? Do I need an electric pump?Thanks
no you dont "need" an electric pump. are you sure its even a fuel problem?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

fuel pump

I may need to check my timing. I am running 9 advanced at idle right now. As I said I just installed a new thumper cam last week and set it back to 9 advance. I may need to advance the timing more. I called Comp Cams and they said 15 advance at idle, that sounds like alot to me.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 AM

Could be electrical also. Coi,l bad plug wire or spark plug. I would shut the car off and pull over on a test drive when it acts up and pull some plugs to see whats up.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons68 View Post
I may need to check my timing. I am running 9 advanced at idle right now. As I said I just installed a new thumper cam last week and set it back to 9 advance. I may need to advance the timing more. I called Comp Cams and they said 15 advance at idle, that sounds like alot to me.
I'd recommend setting timing to 33-34 degrees TOTAL at oh... 2800 rpm (use a timing tape on the balancer or an 'advance' timing light) and just let your initial be whatever it falls after you do that. See if the motor likes that ---- then add a degree or two more at a time until you find the point where power starts to drop off, then back it off to the peak.

Which part number cam is it... or what's the intake/exhaust duration at .050? If it's a lot "rowdier" than stock your carb might need a little recalibration in order to deal with a reduced vacuum signal. (Larger air bleeds and such).

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 04:53 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I just fixed the same problem in my '65 GTO with tripower. I thought it was lean jetting or fuel. Turned out, I was getting too much spark advance. I took it down from 50 degrees to a total of 35 degrees and solved all of my problems. You can limit the amount of vacuum advance by installing a stop for the vac. advance rod on the vac advance........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in