User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gas leak. This is odd.....

I was just under the rearend looking at codes. Everything was fine. Went back to the garage to load up for the dump and smell gas. Puddle under the tank. Find out it's coming out the vent tube on the corner of the tank. Thought maybe the tank had a bunch of pressure, so I undid the cap and gas gushed out everywhere. It was like there was more gas in the tank than it was rated for. Right now the gas is right at the lip of the neck, like it's completely full. I think I filled it a few days ago. And had driven it at least a few miles home.

Is there some kind of vapor lock? Never had this happen before. One minute it's fine, the next it's over flowing and I never moved or even tried starting it. I opened the garage door earlier, but no sun on it, or, is it very warm out.

I don't want to try and start it until the gas that over flowed dries up in case I somehow get a spark from the wires at the pickup on the tank. The gas flowed from one side of the tank to the other. Keeping the cap off at the moment.

Ideas?

Thanks fellas..........

ps. gas is still dripping out the filler neck.

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 01:08 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Did you fill it on a cold morning? Is it a lot warmer now? Fuel expands and contracts pretty significantly.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

No. Around here it's still cool. Only 60 right now and cloudy. Been cooler than that the last couple days. 20's at night. Went to the dump, it's still leaking out the neck....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Pertronix Ignitor III

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Well, I crqnked it up and ran if for awhile. Burned some gas out of it for now. Going to keep an eye on it. Didn't think it was expansion since we haven't been above 60 and it was in the 50's when I filled it. But, maybe that's all it was. Can't take it down the road since it's starting to rain. Time will tell.......

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Pertronix Ignitor III
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 06:00 PM
64-67 Expert

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
And make sure the vent tube is open, too. Sounds like expansion to me. I only top off right before a long freeway drive....if I'm going to be in town, I don't fill it all the way, because gas likes to leak out of the cap due to the low location of the filler on these cars.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
And make sure the vent tube is open, too. Sounds like expansion to me. I only top off right before a long freeway drive....if I'm going to be in town, I don't fill it all the way, because gas likes to leak out of the cap due to the low location of the filler on these cars.
I'm thinking that's the case since I ran it for awhile and got the gas to drop through the neck it quit leaking. Didn't think I packed the fuel in when I filled it last. Must have got more in there than I thought. With the cool temps I wasn't expecting much for expansion either.

I did replace the 2 vent tubes, tank/filler neck and the 2 rubber fuel lines going to the pickup last year when I replaced the pickup gasket. So they should be good.

I did have the wife watch the filler when I started it. She said more gas came out when I sat in it. Go figure.

Thanks for the replies......
68'

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Pertronix Ignitor III
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in