Gas Price$ - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gas Price$

Do you guys feel the recent surge in the prices of gas will dictate on how much you will drive your GTO this season? Also curious on what you guys are paying around the country. Here in New York City the prices pretty much change daily. Today's lowest I saw was $4.09 for 87octane and $4.29 for 93......ouch! I might try to conserve on how hard I drive my everyday truck but since I enjoying driving my GTO so much,I will just have to suck it up and pay whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 PM
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

I paid $5.28 for 100LL AVGAS in NW WA.
at a small country airport.
Just got mine started so........no daily driving in my immediate future
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 PM

Since I dont live in town and I have lots of time on my hands, I have been working towards not having to pay $4 or more for gas. I started before it hit $4 the first time back in 08, and this year I wont buy any gasoline for my old cars. Since the GTO runs on E85 and my home brew, I plant to drive it more this year. Its going to be my daily driver, especially since the 98 Formula I used before will take more money to make it E85 compatible(injectors), and I cant do as much to get more mileage out of it at this point(compression).

So yeah high gas prices are going to keep me from driving my LS1 that was my economy car before, and my trucks are parked until winter as well. I just cant afford $4 gas, and here it is already $4.05 for 87, and going up again tomorrow. In 4 days I will have about 20 gallons of fuel ready, that will last me until I have the next batch done.

I honestly feel for you guys, everyone should be able to enjoy their GTO without having to take out a 2nd mortgage. I am not trying to be condescending, it pisses me off to no end that gas costs as much as it does, and how many of us are over there protecting it some the big companies can make money on our backs. I am learning how to do this so maybe in the future I can help everyone else run their high compression muscle car, Pontiac or otherwise, on fuel they made themselves, or had friends make with them.

This is going to hurt our country again, and that pisses me off even more.

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:53 PM

$4.09 here for 93 and I plan of driving the heck outta my car this Summer regardless of the price of gas.

Performance:230/232 .614 .602 114 cam,Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted mids,Spintech,CSP ported intake/tb,UDP,tune by CSP.

Suspension:Pedders big bore shocks,GSR II struts,Lovells RR bushings,Kings 0 drop rears/20mm drop fronts.
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:46 AM

Garage
I filled up the Charger on Monday here in Denver and it was $3.57 a gallon...which doesn't seem too bad compared to other parts of the county, but still. My family in California is saying they are paying $5 or more for a gallon of gas.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I've already scraped my plans to attend the tri-power nationals in Ohio. I am not gonna pay 5.00+ a gallon. 300+ for just gas is not setting well with me. Other factors were making me rethink my trip but the gas prices was the final decision.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Premium is $4.29 here and I plan on continuing to drive my cars as often as I can. I remember the first gas crunch in the 70's and I got rid of my first muscle car and I will not do that again. Since I am retired this hobby is a big part of my life now and I won't let prices affect my car activities. When gas hits $10 a gallon then I will back off a little.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I probably won't drive my GTO at all this summer....because I doubt it will be finished. I would however like to take the boat out a few times (2mpg).......I will not let the gas prices stop me. My physical condition is gonna be my limiting factor. My wife travels 3 miles to work. We are VERY fortunate not to have long comutes. I think a good part of the gas/import/export problems will be worked on, along with the rest of the economy, in November 2012......E

post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 AM

We're up to $1.37/L for regular here - which equates to about $5.44/US gallon at the current exchange rate ($1.05US=$1.00CDN). I haven't even been paying attention to the prices of premium... yet.

I live close to the border though and will have to make trips to the US more regular as we are overcharged on just about everything here despite the fact the dollar has been even for a long time now.

As for whether or not it will affect how much I drive the GTO - this is the first summer I will have with it, so not a chance. Just my luck that gas has skyrocketed in price over the winter, but I will still drive it as long as the sun is shining

Kevin's Homepage

1970 Pontiac GTO
Orbit Orange Judge Re-creation / YZ RAIII 400 / M21 4-Speed
1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
5.7 LITRE / TES Headers / SShaker Hood / WCT5 5-Speed
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
I have a very short commute, (under 3 miles) so I drive my Toyota pickup to/from work and use about 10 gallons a month. I will start riding my raggedy old bicycle to work in the upcoming weeks like I did in '08. Gas here is $4.10--and up for the cheapest. Since I put the economy rear end in my '67, I'm driving it more (gets the same MPG now as my 4Runner--20+), and I have been driving my '65 more because it's so much fun to drive, but it is $$$$ to fuel with race gas/booster. Driving the '65, I just don't think about it. As far as the gas prices go, I believe that the '08 spike is what really caused our economy to tank as far as it did, and I think that this spick will casue it to tank even further....only this time, we won't have the reserves to make it "back". Extended travel is out for me, as are many trips and excursions. Not because I can't afford it....but because I'm PISSED OFF AT THE GOVT and I refuse to bend over and take it. I am determined to spend as little as possible on any goods and services. Hell, I'm in a 33% income tax braket as it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in