User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Gauge cluster came loose

Hi all, I did not see a thread on this so sorry if it is a duplicate. Actually I have two issues:

Car is a 69 convertible

1. My gauge cluster came loose. It was loose before, but when I did my engine and had the column out, I was able to get my hand up there and get some screws in place. I felt it was a temporary fix though. Went over some rough roads the other day and the gauges looked like the were gonna fall out. Now they wiggle and shake at the slightest bump. I assume I have to completely remove the dash to get up there correctly? I do not see how a dash pad like earlier years can be removed to get access. Removing the dash seems difficult and bums me out knowing all the vacuum back there. Do I need to remove the dash? Do I need to remove all components attached to it first? Is there a video somewhere that shows how to do this?

2. To cancel my left turn signal, I need to turn the wheel to at least the 8:00 position, but to cancel the right, barely 1:00. Is there a way to adjust that piece to even it out? Last I have the steering wheel off, it did not seem like that piece could move without affecting the position of the steering wheel.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike

Torque (tork), n: 1. The tendency of a force to rotate the body to which it is applied. 2. See also: GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Following on the dash stuff as i need to do some work there too.
For the turn signal issue, when my steering wheel was way off I had the same issue, is the steering wheel aligned properly?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Hi John,

My steering wheel is not off, it is centered properly. I have to turn my wheel well past a quarter turn on a left turn to cancel the blinker. On a right turn, I barely have to move it at all. For me to even it out and have the same amount of movement cancel each blinker, I would have to uncenter the wheel with the top of the wheel at about the 10:00 location.

Torque (tork), n: 1. The tendency of a force to rotate the body to which it is applied. 2. See also: GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in