general build advise - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
general build advise

hello everyone!!! i recently graced myself with a 67 gto. im new to the goat world so, looking for any and every bit of advice i can get!!! my main areas of concern are handling upgrades/options along with pros, cons and personal experiances along with the best ways to build the motor. my aim is 5-600 reliable bhp. im sure it goes with out saying that im looking for the best bang for the buck.

really looking forward to hearing what previous experience and knowledge has to offer!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You'll need 455 or more cubes, alum heads for about 10.5:1 SCR, a decent roller cam, and an 800cfm or larger carb with a good intake. There are other ways to do it. But this is probably one of the easiest, without going with an aftermarket block.

Of course, it's even easier with a 505 or 535.

And I'm sure you know, that much power will require a Heavy Duty trans and rear end.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 12:52 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixeyart View Post
hello everyone!!! i recently graced myself with a 67 gto. im new to the goat world so, looking for any and every bit of advice i can get!!! my main areas of concern are handling upgrades/options along with pros, cons and personal experiances along with the best ways to build the motor. my aim is 5-600 reliable bhp. im sure it goes with out saying that im looking for the best bang for the buck.

really looking forward to hearing what previous experience and knowledge has to offer!!!
Welcome aboard. Do some searching in the forums on engine builds, heads, cams, & exhaust, rear ends, brakes and sway bars. You will find a lot of info that will help you get a better idea of what you may want and what you are getting into.

5-600 reliable HP is not cheap and may run you near the 10K mark or more when it is all said and done, so the word inexpensive doesn't come into play. That said, you would probably be better to buy a crate engine from one of the many recommended Pontiac engine builders cited on the forums. Keep in mind, as oldskool pointed out, at those HP levels you will need to throw addition $$$ into your drivetrain, chassis, and braking to handle those power levels, so you may be adding another 6-10K to your budget to do it right or keep on blowing up factory parts and tightening up your butt cheeks hoping you can stop quick enough at high speeds.

Shooting for under 500HP and gobs of bottom end torque which Pontiac's are know for is the best bang for the buck route to go and far more cheaper all around with your build....but I don't know your budget, so investing 15-20K or more to get your HP levels and upgrade your driveline & chassis may be what you are looking to do.

Basically its all about the budget and how deep your wallet goes.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 02:39 PM

A Brief Note About Basic Factory Pontiac Power

There is enough torque and power in a stock 389 - 335 horsepower with a factory Carter AFB to do the following. Driving my '66 GTO 4 speed, with 4:11 rear end gear ratio the following took place. Drive shaft was twisted, rear end spicer gears were blown apart, push rods in engine were bent, cam was even twisted - all this and vast amounts of smoke generated from burning rubber from a mere stock 389 in circa 1968.
Take it from here with your 500 - 600 horse power machine. Pontiac power has always been respected.
Welcome!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Welcome aboard. Do some searching in the forums on engine builds, heads, cams, & exhaust, rear ends, brakes and sway bars. You will find a lot of info that will help you get a better idea of what you may want and what you are getting into.

5-600 reliable HP is not cheap and may run you near the 10K mark or more when it is all said and done, so the word inexpensive doesn't come into play. That said, you would probably be better to buy a crate engine from one of the many recommended Pontiac engine builders cited on the forums. Keep in mind, as oldskool pointed out, at those HP levels you will need to throw addition $$$ into your drivetrain, chassis, and braking to handle those power levels, so you may be adding another 6-10K to your budget to do it right or keep on blowing up factory parts and tightening up your butt cheeks hoping you can stop quick enough at high speeds.

Shooting for under 500HP and gobs of bottom end torque which Pontiac's are know for is the best bang for the buck route to go and far more cheaper all around with your build....but I don't know your budget, so investing 15-20K or more to get your HP levels and upgrade your driveline & chassis may be what you are looking to do.

Basically its all about the budget and how deep your wallet goes.
yeah the plan is to upgrade the rear end, tranny and brakes ect. i was planning on running full hotchkis but a friend has been trying to sway me to put an air ride on it. i really dont know anything about them other than you can put the body on the ground (something i dont ever intend to do) any thoughts towards that? thank you for taking the time to reply!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
You'll need 455 or more cubes, alum heads for about 10.5:1 SCR, a decent roller cam, and an 800cfm or larger carb with a good intake. There are other ways to do it. But this is probably one of the easiest, without going with an aftermarket block.

Of course, it's even easier with a 505 or 535.

And I'm sure you know, that much power will require a Heavy Duty trans and rear end.
thanks for respondig! ill be sure to take note
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 GTO KID View Post
There is enough torque and power in a stock 389 - 335 horsepower with a factory Carter AFB to do the following. Driving my '66 GTO 4 speed, with 4:11 rear end gear ratio the following took place. Drive shaft was twisted, rear end spicer gears were blown apart, push rods in engine were bent, cam was even twisted - all this and vast amounts of smoke generated from burning rubber from a mere stock 389 in circa 1968.
Take it from here with your 500 - 600 horse power machine. Pontiac power has always been respected.
Welcome!

thats good to know thank you!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:36 AM

Your in the right place to find the info your looking for. Dig a little bit to find the best combo for you and your builder. Everything come into play. I am just about done with my build. Waiting on a few parts. But what I will tell you 600 hp pontiac motor is a beast and does make street driving a Lil difficult. I built my car to ride the fine line of street/strip. You definitely have to up grade suspension and breaking capabilities. I went with a custom bmr suspension waiting for delivery to install. But research ask questions and take in all the info. Especially choosing cam and heads. That can make or break your goals your performance and your wallet
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maktope View Post
Your in the right place to find the info your looking for. Dig a little bit to find the best combo for you and your builder. Everything come into play. I am just about done with my build. Waiting on a few parts. But what I will tell you 600 hp pontiac motor is a beast and does make street driving a Lil difficult. I built my car to ride the fine line of street/strip. You definitely have to up grade suspension and breaking capabilities. I went with a custom bmr suspension waiting for delivery to install. But research ask questions and take in all the info. Especially choosing cam and heads. That can make or break your goals your performance and your wallet
yeah thats exactly where im at i guess. what made you go with bmr suspension and aslo, what do you concider to bethe fine line of street and strip?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post

Along with a heavy duty wallet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in