User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gentlemen here is my question

This is the web link: >> CLASSIC CARS LTD, Pleasanton California <<
Regarding "Hurst Equipped" Badges displayed on the left corner of the trunk lid and also on the glove box. What was included with respect to being "Hurst Equipped" - was it simply having the Hurst set up for the 4 speed linkage, or did it require more, such as special wheels, etc?
As far as I can determine this 1966 GTO has a Hurst Shifter and linkage.
Would this 1966 GTO be considered to have been "Hurst Equipped" from the factory?
How many years was this an option?
Please review and comment regarding all pictures if desired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
To get the Hurst equipped badge all you had to do is buy this aftermarket badge and put it any where you wanted on any car including cars that did not have anything to do with Hurst. The badges did not come on the car from the factory.

I don't even think the "Hurst equipped" badge came on the special 65 GTO give away car called the GeeToTiger. A car that was promoted by Hurst with special Hurst gold paint, Special Hurst gold plated wheels and a gold plated Hurst shifter. This car was given away to the winner of how many times you heard the word Tiger on a record that Pontiac was promoting the GTO.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As far as the 66 in your link, it does have the Hurst shifter but you would have to verify from PHS that it came with the 4 speed manual. If could have come from the factory as an auto trans and then someone added the the 4 speed, in that case the car would not be a factory Hurst equipped. It does say factory 4 speed though in the ad.

Hurst shifter coupled with certain trans options was available on all GTO years, not sure on the 2004 to 2006 models.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Hurst .equipped badge was not from the factory. I can tell you that the new ones are plastic and the old ones were diecast metal.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:21 AM

Garage
Hurst thing aside, that is one great looking GTO.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 09:33 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Back in the day, the "Hurst Equipped" plaque came with the new set of Hurst wheels you had just purchased. Had nothing to do with the shifter in the car. All early GTO's with a stickshift had a Hurst shifter. "67 and '68's with floor shifted automatics got the Hurst dualgate. The '64-'66 and '69-up automatic cars, not so lucky. There are a TON of GTO's nowadays on the interweb with the Hurst plaque on the trunklid....with no Hurst wheels on the car. Back in the day, these plaques were very rare.....I don't remember ever seeing one on a GTO. A Mustange or Barracuda was just as likely to have a Hurst Equipped plaque on it, if the owner bought a set of wheels.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 07:33 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Garage
My brother's '73 Plymouth with the added Hurst Equipped badging on the fenders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurst Equipped.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	50178  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Back in the day, the "Hurst Equipped" plaque came with the new set of Hurst wheels you had just purchased. Had nothing to do with the shifter in the car. All early GTO's with a stickshift had a Hurst shifter. "67 and '68's with floor shifted automatics got the Hurst dualgate. The '64-'66 and '69-up automatic cars, not so lucky. There are a TON of GTO's nowadays on the interweb with the Hurst plaque on the trunklid....with no Hurst wheels on the car. Back in the day, these plaques were very rare.....I don't remember ever seeing one on a GTO. A Mustange or Barracuda was just as likely to have a Hurst Equipped plaque on it, if the owner bought a set of wheels.

Randy

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 08:38 PM

Interesting that anyone can buy the Hurst badges. I would have thought they'd be controlled like Holden Special Vehicles badges (those can't be bought separately unless owner verifies their car is HSV).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 06:36 AM

I would imagine because one is an aftermarket company that would love to advertise and the other is a vehicle manufacturer who has a stake in keeping their numbers low...

Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in