Getting a muscle car..... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Getting a muscle car.....

I am looking at getting my first muscle car within the next few months here. I am keeping the Ebay servers busy.

Hopefully you can help with advice in my search.

What I'm looking for...

1. Fun weekend and cruise night car.

2. Notrailer queens, I don't need rare options that render the car undriveable do to it's rarity (don't have the budget for rarity, more on that later).

3. NO projects, not at all, no "it's 90% done." Turns out most people's 90 is my 40.

4. Originality of car not important. I don't care if my car has matching numbers, the correct color paint. I'm out to have fun.

5. I am partial to the A-Bodies, but open to anything 60-72 and maybe a few other years. I prefer the GM line, but I'm open to Mopars. Not really a Ford guy. I've also got a soft spot for 80-82 vettes (weird, huh).

6. I'd like to keep it under 25kish.

I have a line on a 70 GTO 350hp 400. It is a 2nd owner car, 97k, red, blk vinyl top, black interior, his/her shifter. Solid, nice car, the paint is old and very, very "orange peely." It is going for around $20k. Other than the paint job (they painted the hood scoop inserts red too) I really like it, but the paint is driving me nuts.

I also have my eyes on this 442. What do you guys think of this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...QQcmdZViewItem

I have gone on way too long here, but any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:55 PM

Personally, I like the Pontiac line more, but for 21000, that 442 is a steal. It is gorgeous. If I had that money, I would do that in a second. As for the 70 GTO, I know that there are plenty that will go for the 25k range with basic restos, but for the shape that 442 is in, I would see a 70 GTO go for at least 30-35k maybe even 40k. Although that 70 you're talkin bout has the undesireable vinyl top, and if the paint is as bad as you say, and the engine internals are anything like the paint, that 70 could go for as low as 15k through a private seller. Just my experience.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would also opt for the 442 at that price. I believe part of the reason is that it has a modified restoration. It was not done back to stock. Also after 1970, the 442 went to a lower compression ratio 8:5 to 1 I believe and the car's populararity went down. If you can, try to go see the car first.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 AM

442 Fake

Read the Ebay ad, and you'll see the Olds is a Cutlass, not a 442. It looks like a nice car, but I think $21K for a modified Cutlass is too much.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeflyer
Read the Ebay ad, and you'll see the Olds is a Cutlass, not a 442. It looks like a nice car, but I think $21K for a modified Cutlass is too much.

Randy

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
3. NO projects, not at all, no "it's 90% done." Turns out most people's 90 is my 40.

4. Originality of car not important. I don't care if my car has matching numbers, the correct color paint. I'm out to have fun.
I still think the clone is pretty much what he is looking for. It is restored to a showroom look even though it isn't original. Its under 25k, and I am sure it will have enough power for Arthur to have some fun. Remember, Olds had even more torque than pontiac.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 07:44 PM

I Love My Lemans And Sorry Guys But I Think It's Just As Good As A Gto. Even Better Is That You Can Get One For Sometimes Half The Price Of A Comparable Gto. Same With The Cutlass/442. If You Are Only Out For Fun, Why Spend The Extra $$$ For A Name. I Have Seen Plenty Of 64-72 Lemans' Going For Under $20,000 In Showroom Condition As Well As Ones "restored For Strip." Either Way, And If It Was Done Right, You Will Have Just As Much Fun As In A Gto, But For Lots Less...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 11:31 AM

If you're really interested, give me a shout. I'm pretty partial to original GTO convertibles myself. I'm always willing to discuss cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in