Getting Ready for Winter - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Getting Ready for Winter

Just rented a garage to store my 68 for the Winter. I live on the East Coast so winter will be approaching fast. Last years Polar Vortex was brutal. What are some Tips for storing her away. Unfortunatley it is an unheated garage. But at least its leak free and dry. Just looking to hear what most people do if anything other the putting it in the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 01:05 PM

winter storage

I have been storing cars for many years, my main concern was rodents. If you just rented this space you may or may not know if the area is subject to the 4 legged wonders. I have found over the past number of years that most of the stuff posted on line; Bounce sheets, pine needles etc just do not work consistently. I found that John Deere Dealers sell a rodent repellant that farmers use in tractor cabs etc for use during storage. Just a dry mix of different types of wood shavings, maybe some spices packaged (not sure of contents) in small cheesecloth type bags. I have been told that rodents do not like a 'clean smell' and the John Deere material has a very pleasant odor. I have used this repellant for the past number of years. Cars that were parked next to mine in storage had 'visitors' but my vehicles stayed rodent free. Make sure there are no food sources left in your car, candy chips etc. that may have fallen under seats or trunk. Just my .02
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 02:23 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I tend to change the oil, remove the battery from the car....store it inside my dry basement, clean the car as above, jack it up and put jack stands under the control arms and rear axle to keep suspension loaded and prevent flat spotting the tires. I also put socks over the tailpipes to keep the varmints out of the exhaust. I also cover the car with a quality cover....and hold a sťance until spring lol

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 01:07 AM

What is this Winter you speak of? Northern Calif goes from drought season to occasionally foggy in the morning season.

don't forget to top off your tank and put a good fuel stabilizer in it.

1968 GTO Coupe/Auto
1964 Riviera
1968 Mustang
2007 GT500
2006 Solstice (pocket Pontiac)
2012 Camaro SS 45th

Sold: 1967, 2004, 2005, 2006
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The only things I do for mine is fill with fuel and stabilize and bi weekly put a trickle charger on the battery. I Also live in the north east (RI), but if there is a nice few days and the salt is off the roads, I will drive mine year round.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 02:19 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesan View Post
What is this Winter you speak of? Northern Calif goes from drought season to occasionally foggy in the morning season.

don't forget to top off your tank and put a good fuel stabilizer in it.
Thanks for the laugh!!! Good advice, I forgot to list that....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in