Go for it or not???? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go for it or not????

New to the GTO forum and need some advice. I have the opportunity to buy a partially restored 1970 GTO. The car needs to be painted and assembled. The electrical is partially completed and the interior needs to be done as well. The engine, trans, etc. are all new and installed. All parts are present, except the roof liner, and are ready to go. The price as is is 7,000. Does this seem like a decent price? What would be a ballpark estimate to have this completed? How much does a first class paint job cost? Any suggestions for a place to have this completed in the Chicagoland area? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 06:37 PM

Garage
I'm not big on the 70s model cars so I couldn't tell you what it's worth as is, but as far as finishing it, I have a lot of experience in restorations so...

Paint- depending on the quality of paint you want it can range from $2000 to $10000. It also depends on how much body and prep work needs to be done. Has the car been primed and blocked yet? The more time spent before paint the better the paint. Most quality body shops charge about $70 to $100 an hour and it can take up to 40 hours. I block sand my cars myself. It saves a ton of money and since I'm a bit of a perfectionist I know everything is perfect before I take it in for paint. It also depends on what kind of paint. Single stage is cheaper usually but I prefer base coat/clear coat because any imperfections can be sanded and buffed out easier

Electrical- depends on if it is original or aftermarket harnesses in the car. Original and it should be pretty easy, just get the wiring diagrams and about 10 hours of free time. If it's aftermarket, like a painless, give yourself about 20 hours and nice piece of wall to punch while you try and figure out everything someone else has already started.

Interior- you can pick up a complete interior kit for about $2500. If your confident enough to do it on your own you'll be looking at about $3000 total and a good couple weekends. If not, figure a shop will probably charge about another $1000 on top of the materials to get her done.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! What do you get with a $2500 interior kit?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 PM

Garage
Original Part Group has a Stage 3 kit for $1726.99 on sale right now and it comes with...

Molded Carpet
Under carpet sound deafened kit
Door sill plates
Floor mats
Complete set of seat upholstery
Front molded bucket seat foam
Bucket seat back molded shells and lower bases
Seatback/lower base chrome tubing
Molding end caps
Bucket seat lock buttons
Rear seat shelf w/ insulation kit
Front and rear door panels
Water shields
Rear lower plastic arm rest panels
Door panel chrome strips
Door lock knobs and ferrules
Front arm rest pads and bases
Rear armrest pads and bases
Headliner
Dome lamp lens and base
Firewall insulation set
Under-dash insulation kit

Check them out at www.opgi.com
It's actually a rear good deal and they are a reputable company with quality products
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the info. Also wondering what these cars go for fully restored? It is not fully original but what has and will be done will be high quality.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
can't say unless we know if original block, heads, intake, carb, etc. what options, pdb, ps, pw, pa, auto or stick, tilt, radio, gauges, tach, etc. Then colors, if same as PHS docs or not, what wheels... all this affects price.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie11 View Post
Thanks again for the info. Also wondering what these cars go for fully restored? It is not fully original but what has and will be done will be high quality.
Short answer, less than what you will have into it unless you do all the work including body and paint yourself

7000.00 car
3000.00 interior
1000.00 wiring harness and labor
8-10000 First class paint job (only get good paint with good body work)
2000.00 incidentals
2000.00 more incidentals

owning a GTO....Priceless....

nothing much cheap on these cars especially labor if you can't do it yourself, don't do it as an investment, and don't do it unless you have the money or time, skill, patients and drive to get it done.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
Short answer, less than what you will have into it unless you do all the work including body and paint yourself

7000.00 car
3000.00 interior
1000.00 wiring harness and labor
8-10000 First class paint job (only get good paint with good body work)
2000.00 incidentals
2000.00 more incidentals

owning a GTO....Priceless....

nothing much cheap on these cars especially labor if you can't do it yourself, don't do it as an investment, and don't do it unless you have the money or time, skill, patients and drive to get it done.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:36 PM

Any well done muscle car, especially SS, GTO, GS, 442, Z28, and Trans am (The upper end models) from 64 to 72 should bring between $10,000 to $15,000 with easy with out the original drive train. As long as the paint and interior look nice and don't need to be redone. Just my opinion. Those are the prices at any muscle car dealer if not more that I have seen.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:40 PM

The advise above is all true and is also the reason I decided to buy a car that was done. My search started with the hopes of buying a project car (which is what my budget dictated), but it just didn't make sense when I saw what people wanted for something half finished compared to a complete car that I could drive away.

The first car I looked at was the one attached below - he wanted $10K and it sounds like the car you're looking at is in similar condition? Bodywork was done (questionable in some areas after a close look), had sheet metal floorpan patches, drivetrain rebuilt but not running (ie. big gamble) and in need of a complete interior, not to mention all the finishing touches that will nickel and dime you do death. Another local guy wanted $15K for one in even worse shape. The biggest problem with people selling half done project cars is that they've sunk a lot of money into it and want you to cover those costs. It's rare to break even selling a car that's been fully restored (unless it's highly desireable) and it's a guarantee to lose money on a project car - it takes a lot of guys a long time trying to sell before they finally "give the car away".

While there is a ton of pride that goes along with building your own car and being able to say you did it yourself (not to mention spreading out the cost over time), I decided it just didn't make sense for me, especially with the limited space I have to work with. The even CDN/US dollar, low interest rates and poor economy made it a good time to buy so I started searching for something complete - hoping for very nice, but driver condition '70 GTO. A few deals fell through during the summer, then I came across the car that was "perfect for me" late in the fall and pulled the trigger. I ended up with a show condition car it would have cost me a TON more in both money and time had I tried to get one of the basket cases I looked at into the same condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4740.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	746.9 KB
ID:	10749   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4742.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	10750   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4759.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	10752   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4770.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	807.4 KB
ID:	10753   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4753.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	653.4 KB
ID:	10754  

Kevin's Homepage

1970 Pontiac GTO
Orbit Orange Judge Re-creation / YZ RAIII 400 / M21 4-Speed
1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
5.7 LITRE / TES Headers / SShaker Hood / WCT5 5-Speed

Last edited by 85_SS; 04-03-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in