going insane!how long can a car sit outside? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
going insane!how long can a car sit outside?

Hey guys, so I dropped off my car last week for some touch up paint to be done. Just small stuff nothing major to get it ready for the season. I dropped it off Thursday night last week and they said they would get to it Friday morning or first thing Monday morning and it is now a week later. It has been sitting outside all week except inside the one night it stormed thank god. Other than that it has been outside. how long can a car sit outside without having anything happen to it? thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
As long as everything is installed don't sweat it. Most of these have been sitting outside for 40+ years. Other option is to go pick up a cheap cover at Walmart and tell them to cover it, That's what I did...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

yes everything is installed but its the car has never sat outside more than a single night in my owner ship. Just worried about the chrome freshly detailed engine compartment.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
OP I always make clear to shops I use (when i have to) that my car will be kept inside at night. I presume your car is fully insured? Also always get a firm schedule on when the work will be done, there is no reason for the car to be at the shop if it is just going to sit outside and be free advertisement for them.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
OP I always make clear to shops I use (when i have to) that my car will be kept inside at night. I presume your car is fully insured? Also always get a firm schedule on when the work will be done, there is no reason for the car to be at the shop if it is just going to sit outside and be free advertisement for them.
Same thing I do with all my collectors. I only take them to places that value working on them as much as I value owning them. Permitting your classic to sit outside that long tells me they do not value you or the car. I'd a come got it taken it elsewhere and let them have a few choice words.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Its a well known shop around here they, restore a 68 GTO a couple years ago and are now doing two more. They have a bunch of classics there but decided leave mine outside. everyday its outside I just get more aggravated.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Have a cover for it?

If you have a good wax on it and it don't leak water you should be fine, surface rust would be the only issue, that and birds bombing it.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

we are getting what rust is on it fixed. and it does leak in under the front dash by the passengers feet and the trunk but their painting the trunk as well. Just a bad feeling when you take care of it so well and other people treat it like S$$$
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 02:24 PM

I would go and get it and if you still want them to do the work....tell them to call you when they are ready to work on it. There is no reason for it to sit outside. Any shop that is professional will have a schedule when to start it. If you don't raise hell...who will? And they may be assuming that you are ok with "whenever we get to it". It's your pride and joy and they act like they could care less about it. That would sure chap my ass!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Have a cover for it?

If you have a good wax on it and it don't leak water you should be fine, surface rust would be the only issue, that and birds bombing it.

I'd honestly be worried about thieves more than bird poop and water spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in