Going to see a goat. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Going to see a goat.

I'm going to look at a '69 GTO with a numbers matching 400 with a 3 speed auto column shifter, I've always had a passion for pontiacs but recently I've been come down with the great one fever. Just wondering if there are any common rust locations to check with the GTO and anything else I should know, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 AM

Garage
Front bottom of rear quarters, rocker boxes, bottom rear of fenders and most important, the fill panel between the trunk and rear window. I had to replace the fill panel on my 66 and 70, the window lip holds water and rusts out. Take a magnet to the fill panel, repairable, but not cheap and you have to pull the rear window. I'm talking about clean southern cars, not northern cars. On Northern cars, the whole car is suspect.
Good luck, and welcome!

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
+ check the frame where it kicks down and out in front under the cowl.

bottoms of the doors (inside and underneath) and the same for the trunk lid. GL!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys will do.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Still waiting on VIN, though its in the back of my head it might be a lemans clone. What do you guys think?

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 AM

Cowl tag should say also. I would request phs docs first, that way you know exactly what options and car you are getting.

some may say i have too many projects
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapegoat View Post
Cowl tag should say also. I would request phs docs first, that way you know exactly what options and car you are getting.
Problem is this guy wants only 7k for it, so its flying away from my hands
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 AM

I think there should be a vin on a blue paper with plastic covering it below the latch on the drivers door.

some may say i have too many projects
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 04:41 PM

I am sure there is better advice from more knowledgeable Pontiac owners.I take it that you already looked at the car and like it.Like the other members said check around the front and rear windows sometimes not visible from the outside due too good body work.I would look in the trunk area and under the dash area and smell the interior for a musty (moldy) smell.Check the frame for sure especially around the body mounts.Check the body to check for excess bondo.As for numbers a real GTO will have the vin starting with 242 that is not saying he put a GTO badge on a Lemans body.Numbers numbers numbers?These cars are old and most of the components have been changed once and maybe several times.All we can tell is the year that different components came from.I own a 69 GTO with a 1969 motor and transmission ( original who knows).Good Luck!!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by la_belle_fermier View Post
I am sure there is better advice from more knowledgeable Pontiac owners.I take it that you already looked at the car and like it.Like the other members said check around the front and rear windows sometimes not visible from the outside due too good body work.I would look in the trunk area and under the dash area and smell the interior for a musty (moldy) smell.Check the frame for sure especially around the body mounts.Check the body to check for excess bondo.As for numbers a real GTO will have the vin starting with 242 that is not saying he put a GTO badge on a Lemans body.Numbers numbers numbers?These cars are old and most of the components have been changed once and maybe several times.All we can tell is the year that different components came from.I own a 69 GTO with a 1969 motor and transmission ( original who knows).Good Luck!!!!
Actually I haven't its a bit of a drive, and I'm still not sure about it, it seems somewhat fishy especially the price, but who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in