Is this a good deal - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this a good deal

This is at a local classic car dealer and I don't know whether $25k is a fair price or not. Any advice would be appreciated.

1965 Pontiac Tempest Convertible GTO Clone.
-428 Pontiac engine with Mickey Thompson M/T Cross Ram Intake Manifold
-Dual Edelbrock 4-barrel Carburetors
-2.25 inch dual exhaust system with improved headers
-Munci 4-speed manual transmission with Hurst shifter
-Coil over adjustable racing shocks and springs with traction bars
-Heavy duty torsion bar for improved cornering
-Power disc brakes
-Improved ratio power steering box
-Re-padded and re-upholtered bucket seats, console, tachometer
-New power operated convertible top
-Era correct wheels with BF Goodrich tires
-Fresh paint and trip
-Chrome's in great condition
-Carbs were just rebuilt and tuned and the radiator was just overhauled and doubled in size. Fun car for street or show.

Photos are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Thanks for any and all advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice looking car but it's a clone, you can find real GTOs in that price range...not a good deal

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

I understand that it is a clone and while purists probably don't like it, it doesn't bother me. Based on what I can find online a true '65 GTO convertible that is as nice as this clone would be $40-$50k.

Surely I can't get a true '65 GTO convertible for $25k. If I can please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it is a fair price. It is a convertible and it is a custom clone. To me, the engine is makes it an interesting car. You don't see this setup very often. It also has new paint and if all the mechanicals are working, it is a good buy.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The car looks nice, and that intake/carb set-up looks bitchin.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
It's a solid buy. You couldn't build that car for 25k. And you couldn't get a like-condition real GTO ragtop for anywhere near that price. Not into clones, but reality is what it is. You can enjoy the musclecar experience for a fraction of the cost of owning an original, authentic musclecar. The resale value won't be there, but if you buy it to enjoy it, it shouldn't matter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
seems fair for a car you can hop in and go. Love the cross ram, hard to find those manifolds. Way under what a true GTO vert in that shape will be asking.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:23 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
I am onboard with everyone else. Don't care for clones, but it is nice. With all I see, yep, looks to be a fair price for what you are getting. The Mickey Thompson Cross Ram is a rare piece to find nowadays. They don't go cheap either.

You stated "new power operated convertible top." Is this a true convertible? Did you verify the vin numbers? You can buy all the parts to make a HT into a convertible. If you check the frame, the side rails should be "boxed" (closed in, not an open channel) and an additional frame/body mount about where the door is - geeteeohguy can tell better then me on convertibles.

I would verify that its a 428 as too easy to say it is when its not. Not saying this isn't. Real fast ID is the "pyramid lug" at the top back of the engine block next to the distributor, passenger side (421 & 455CI also had these). Check the block letter code. A 421CI can be bored over to make a 428CI as well. Also confirm the head casting numbers (2 digits) at the center exhaust port.

Keep in mind that a true 428CI will have a high compression ratio if it has not been changed (ie pistons with a larger dish) during the rebuild. You will have to run premium or better to avoid detonation problems. Could be costly on long drives. I would also ask about this 'cuz its going to suck up the gas.

My Opinion based on my cheap ways - With all the engine, trans, brakes, suspension, etc. improvements, I think $25K is at the high limit, but something closer to 20K would be ideal. If you plan on owning it long time, $25K would be justifiable. If you think you might flip it or sell it, then you may be taking a gamble. But it sure does look good and nothing like a top down cruise down your local avenue catching gears!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm on board on this one. A clone is worth what you are willing to pay. Based on the high prices of very rough real GTO's people have asked about recently, your clone is a much better buy. I would check over the body very carefully to be sure it's as nice and straight as it appears. If all is in order, I say go for it if you like it!

While I agree, you probably won't make money on this one, I don't think you will lose much either if you decide to sell.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 07:22 AM

They don't have to make money, do they? I'm a pro builder with serious creds. There's no way you could get that built for that price, in fact I wouldn't raise my right hand to even double that price. If you did almost all of it yourself you'd have that in parts and raw materials based on searches for such and my knowledge of raw material costs (paint, seat covers, tops, wiring harnesses and related pieces). In the short term, if you decided it wasn't for you after a season with it, I think you'd get your $$$$ back if the will to wait was in place. In the long term, assuming you make minor improvements and such and keep it in tip top condition, you'll see a higher price just based on inflation alone.

Now you have to ask that guy over the top of your bathroom sink how he really feels about it. Does he want a fire breather? Will it hang out locally or will you want to go to meets that are 2-3-400 miles away? Will it be easier and cheaper to trailer to those events, and does he have a truck and trailer? Owning a high-powered car comes with more than the tight fit in your pants when you tromp down on the loud pedal. Is that you? Once you answer all of those queries in honest and positive results I'd say go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in