Got a story of a car you "loved and lost" or sold? Or found ... years later? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got a story of a car you "loved and lost" or sold? Or found ... years later?

I've been meaning to post a thread on here, but I just never made time. I am looking for your "car stories" I've been lurking here for a while, but just took the time to register.

Here is more info on what I am looking for.

#96 on my bucket list (yep, I have one) is to write a book. But, when I first put it on there, I had no idea where the content would come from. But I am moving forward with it now.

I grew up in WV when coal mining was taking a dive. So, needless to say, we saw some tough economic times.

My dad was a car guy and he was always hauling home some rusty worn out car to build. As I grew up I learned a lot about car restoration and I saw many beautiful transformations in our driveway. However, it never failed, every couple of years, my dads company would close, or lay off. And the dreaded "For Sale" sign would come out in an effort to pay for a trip to Myrtle Beach, or Christmas.

This was something that happened repeatedly... all through my life. I sat down one day and tried to determine what it was that doomed each car. I am starting to put these together and my dad is getting me the exact dates and "stories".

The sad thing is... sometimes, the project never even made it to paint before he would make the decision to sell it. I hate to sound too sarcastic, but it's sad knowing that he sold a collectable car to pay for MY Christmas toys that have been resting in a landfill for 20+ years. But, it made US (my sister and I) happy at the time and my dad was willing to make the sacrifice.

Unfortunately for my dad, we have no clue as to the fate of his old cars. They have disappeared into our memories and the only remaining artifact is a few Polaroid photos.

So... tell me some of your stories. I have an ISBN with a publisher to author a book titled "The Ones That Got Away". The project draft is already registered and my first draft is due in November. (which is approaching fast) I already have 7 or 8 stories compiled, and the book is coming together nicely, but I know there is a few more out there.

Essentially, the book will be a compilation of stories from folks who had classic cars that "got away". I am looking for unique twists, and even the "search" stories from folks who were able to find them years later.

Share them with me here on the forum or at [email protected]. Please send me a description of the story and give as much detail as possible. I will be especially interested in stories with unique twists, or searches to uncover the mystery of "where it is now" These don't have to be GTO stories. And if you know someone with a good story, feel free to refer this to them to follow up.

Last edited by jeffg1010; 10-14-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 PM

You should tell us when it publishes. There may be a few interested folks here.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
great idea, and i have one for you but its a bit lengthy so i will have to sit down and put it to paper (post) later. Restoring a Tempest (GTO) by myself was one of my bucket list items, was officially able to check it off this spring.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
A good, original idea, Jeff. I think it has possibilities. I too have a few, but one in mind. It is also a bit lengthy. BTW, your dad did the right thing: he rescued vehicles and passed them along for a second chance and generated income for his family at the same time. There are so many other cases out there where the cars sit and languish, albeit with good intent, and rust away into junk. Your dad wasn't one of those guys.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM

I have three such stories, with the best being about the 69 GTO I owned for about 30 years. That car, I bought from the original owner in 1972 with only 30k miles on it. It was my daily driver for over 10 years. I then restored it, showed it, sold it, bought it back, restored it a second time, showed it, then sold it for college money. I will try and put something together for you. The other two, my first car, a 1953 Hudson Hornet Convertible, and my third car, a 1970 Corvette are good stories, but not so many twists. I know where all three cars are currently.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 PM

My wife's father bought her older brother a new 68 gto his senior year in hs. Her dad was a really smart guy and years later admitted that it was a stupid decision. But it was his first born and male and name sake and living in the country club with small mans complex and had to make sure his son was hip, etc, etc. Well as the story goes, wife was girlfriend then and it was end of my senior year (74) and got to visiting one day at her house and he brother knew I was into cars and racing my 69 firebird and wanted to show me his old 'bad ass' senior car. It was pitiful with bald tires, engine not running, faded paint, etc. I bought it from her brother for $400 including original sticker, protecto plate, etc. I fixed the timing chain, rebuilt carb, starter, new tires and paint and had an awesome car. We got married after college and joined the real world where bosses don't want to hear about car dependability issues so I sold it after 5 years driving it for $1500 and bought a new Z28. 30+ years later and still miss that car so started trying to chase her down. No luck yet but still looking. I still have the sticker, manual, etc and keep hoping. It as an auto with hurst, ac, ps, pb, hood tac, 8 track Lear deck, hidden lights, black interior. If you see it, let me know.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Ya know. I posted this thread, but for some reason didn't subscribe. So I never checked back in. I'd love to hear more from the few guys who have stories. You can email me the story directly at [email protected] and we can also speak on the phone if you'd like.

I just wanted to follow up and thank all who responded. The publication was delayed a bit due to work, but a new job is allowing me to stay home more, so the project moves on.

I wanted to update everyone on the progress. Our website is now live, and we are still accepting submissions. So if anyone else has a story to share, lets hear it!!!

Thanks
Jeff
[email protected]
Home Page
Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-O...69402729757456
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in