Got a weird one for ya - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got a weird one for ya

OK, took the goat to my buddy's house, an accomplished gearhead extraordinaire, do some simple tune up stuff. Take for a cruise, he tells me a strong motor in this one. Get back to his house, go in to peruse his 69 mustang he's doing that looks way way way nicer than these could have come from the factory, go back out and to make a long story short, there is a puddle of fuel under my car. By the way it's parked on a decline, not real steep but maybe 30 deg. We get under, thinking, damaged fuel line, rock hit a hole into the tank, but discover there is this rubber vent hose on teh passenger side, and with the angle and full tank, it's dripping fuel. Turns out it is actually split about 3 inches from the tank right at the bend and dripping right on the exaust pipe on that side. Wow, I'm gonna be a flaming ball of death on teh ride home. Taped it up and parked level, no leak at this point. Here is my query.

What is that part called? What do I need to ask for to get it replaced? is it available at parts store or is it available only thru a spec parts place? it just clips on like a fuel line, but it's maybe 12 inches in length and the body has a clipish thing under the trunk pan to put into. No big deal but a kind a buzz kill.

Me and the brother in law went cruising for like an hour with many looks, some from appreciaters, others who are too young to have a clue what this car is. It was a salvaged evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Sounds like a charcoal cannister that attaches to the fuel tank vent line, they are sold thru year 1. What year is your car?

Randy

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

no, it has no canister. its just some piece of black tubing, like fuel line type stuff, that is on the right front corner of the tank, extends up to a clip on the bottom of the trunk pan. What is that called? Is it just a vent/overflow tube?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 AM

I have a 70, and my vent tube is on the filler neck. What year is your Goat?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Non A/C cars have 1 metal fuel line running from the tank to the fuel pump, A/C cars have 2 metal fuel lines, the larger line is the supply and the smaller line is a fuel vapor return line.

Does your car have A/C, if so you will have an additional vent on the gas tank that attaches to the smaller metal tube.

Randy

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

it is an ac car, though it sans compressor at the moment. This is NOT a metal line. it is black rubber, like rubber fuel line material, comes out of the right corner of the tank towars the front side. The two metal lines come out of teh center of the tank;. This comes out, bends about 2 inches horizontal, then bends straight up toward the metal trunk pan, where a metal clip, formed into the pan, awaits it. it is split at the bend that heads up. It does not return anywear, its maybe 12 inches long total.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Do you have a vent on the filler tube?

Randy

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It's a vent tube. I think there might be a push in vented plug that should go in the end of it. Just replace it with rubber fuel hose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in