GTO graveyard found - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GTO graveyard found

My friend sent me these pics of a very sad site. About 20-30 GTOs, a few mopars and some other 60s to early 70s cars just rotting in a field. These cars are sitting behind a house in a wealthy neighborhood in so cal, but aren't actually on their property. They're sitting in a clearing off of a fire road. I'm going to attempt to contact the owner and see what their story is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
That's a shame. I wish I could say I've never seen that before, but I have, all too many times over the years. The ironic thing is, these cars, being rust free, would still be deemed restorable. The $$$ spent to restore would far outweigh the value, though, unless the car in question was a super rare optioned car.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

So I went by and talked to the owner. He's been collecting them for 20+ years and has plans to restore them all. He wouldn't let me see them and refuses to sell any. Oh well. Hopefully they brought enough joy to their previous owners and will still be there 20 years from now for someone else to restore.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
What a shame as I can't see anyone "restoring" all those cars by themselves and more than likely they will rust beyond repair and be scrapped to make more Prius' and Leaf hybrid crap-mobiles.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Graveyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel67 View Post
So I went by and talked to the owner. He's been collecting them for 20+ years and has plans to restore them all. He wouldn't let me see them and refuses to sell any. Oh well. Hopefully they brought enough joy to their previous owners and will still be there 20 years from now for someone else to restore.
He's gonna restore them "someday." What a jerk. He has neither the money nor the time. Pick two to keep and sell the rest!!!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM

Rescue mission! They must be liberated
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Did you ask how many he has restored so far....my guess is ZERO. People like that have them overvalued in their mind, are hoarders, and have no idea what it takes to "restore" a classic. California or not mother earth will soon reclaim them and there will be 10 less GTO's in this world.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

He wasn't rude, but was not at all friendly so I didn't get a chance to chat. Every true car collector I've ever come across has been happy to talk about their collection. This guy was in his late 30s to early 40s and didn't seem to fit the profile of the neighborhood he was in. I counted 25 cars on google earth in plain view and know from the pics above that there are several under the trees. I wouldn't recomend pursuing this one.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 AM

Garage
I gurantee you he won't do anything with these cars other than to let them rust to nothingness. People like that always plan to "restore it someday" and like the CCR song says "Someday...never comes."

There is a guy in my aunt and uncles hometown. He had a nice, clean, straight 56 T-Bird droptop. It needed some work, but was in really good condition. It sat under his carport (not an enclosed garage, a covered carport) with the top down. My family are not Ford people and don't really like the Baby Birds, but it was still a nice car. Dad went over and talked to the guy about it and he was kind of rude, saying it wasn't for sale and he was gonna "fix it up like new" one day. So it sat under the carport, with the top down. Not up even, down. I was 13 or so.

I am now almost 42. Guess where that car is? In Fordyce, Arkansas sitting under a carport with the top still down, full of dust, water, leaves and pine needles, rusted to hell and gone on 4 dry rotted flat tires. But I am sure that guy is gonna fix it up like new any day now.

"My Little GTO, really lookin fine. 4 barrel and a 4 speed, and a 389."
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
If that guy is only in his 30's or 40's, I can almost guarantee he inherited those and not collected them himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in