User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
GTOAA Pontiac GTO Illustrated Guide

I purchased my 66 GTO from the original owners in 1972 and I have done a lot of research through the years, including the PHS documentation. As a result, there are no "mysteries" concerning my car.

I spent 16 months (and a whole lot of money) doing a full off-frame rotisserie restoration. One of the last "mysteries" was the meaning of the "O" accessory code under the Group 1 listing on the Cowl tag. Internet sources had indicated that it stood for the inside Day/Night mirror. Since my car was equipped with this mirror, this made sense to me.

My GTO has done very well at the local Car Shows and was invited to the Trump Lake Norman Concours d'Elegance for 2015 and 2016. It was awarded Second in Class for 2015 and Third in Class for 2016 in the "American Musclecar" category. It has been invited to the 2017 Hilton Head Island Concours d'Elegance to be held this November.

I had read a lot about the GTOAA Illustrated identification Guide on various forums. I was aware that there was a second printing out now. I figured that with some of the upcoming shows, I might have a need for an authoritative source of verification for The GreaT One.

So I ordered one from Ames. It came in today. I immediately sat down to have a look at it. It's organized in tabs for each year. There's a lot of really detailed information in it. The most interesting thing I saw today is that the "O" accessory code under Group 1 is for Two-tone paint!

Of course, I knew that my car was (and still is) a two-tone, paint codes V and T. I was just surprised to find out that it was also documented under the Group 1 accessory codes.

I can highly recommend this guide to anyone that owns a 1964 to 1974 GTO (or a 1970 1/2 or 1971 GT-37). There's a world of good info in it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
This Illustration guide can also be purchased from the GTOAA store. GTOAA Pontiac GTO/GT37 Illustrated Identification Guide

Eric White was in the process of making a 2nd edition of this guide which was to include A-Bodies and the 2005-2006 GTO when he passed away. Eric's sister was able to get the files for the original guide and had a limited quantity of the Illustration guide reproduced. This reference guide is what our GTOAA concours judges reference. This illustration guide is a must have for those looking to period correct their GTO.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Fantastic book! I went through Eric's sister to get mine....what an awesome collection of info!! Although I bought my GTO as a Day 2 car, this book is still invaluable. Highly recommended!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Eric's book is a good resource, was looking forward to the 2nd edition to clear up a few small errors. As far as GTOAA using the book for reference for Concours Judging, the book references the normal stuff, color codes, trim codes, as well as stamped part number codes & some casting numbers. As these cars were mass produced out of up to 5 different assembly plants each year, & many times there were ongoing revisions, it takes very knowledgeable long time restorers to be able to actually discern correctness on quite a few components, as such, the currently avail books can only get one so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in