Hagerty Insurance ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hagerty Insurance ?

Anybody dealt with Hagerty, or settled a claim with them? Nationwide, who I have done business with for 30 years, wants $500 a year to insure my 64 GTO.
I just called Hagerty & for half the money they offer better coverage on a classic car. Probably gonna make the jump but thought I'd solicit some opinions... laz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 08:46 AM

I have been with Hagerty for three years.
Yes, they are going to be cheaper because classics are all they insure and they better understand the market.
Nationwide, Allstate and the like have no idea how to insure these vehicles because they have no concept or have no desire to learn the concept of how these vehicles are used.
They just plug the year, make and model into their formula and away they go.
I have no claims expirience with Hagerty, but I have had no complaints.
They even contacted me before renewal last year and suggested an increase in coverage to compensate for the increased value in the market.

I have my home owners with Allstate, and they have never done that in 15 years! They leave it up to the home owner to contact them about upping their coverage to adjust for market increases.

I am paying $174/yr with Hagerty. You won't be sorry.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can also do a qoute online with Grundy (grundy.com) and compare the two companies. I have had Grundy for 5 years with no complaints.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 08:02 AM

I have Grundy on my 69 Camaro, 67 GTO and 90 ZR1 and have had no problems at all. My neighbor uses Hagerty and we pay almost the same for the Camaros.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgto7004 View Post
...They even contacted me before renewal last year and suggested an increase in coverage to compensate for the increased value in the market.

I have my home owners with Allstate, and they have never done that in 15 years! They leave it up to the home owner to contact them about upping their coverage to adjust for market increases.

I am paying $174/yr with Hagerty. You won't be sorry.

Russ
That may boil down to your agent. We've had nationwide for 10 yrs (almost 4 in our historic home) and our agent checks in with us every so often, and recommended changing and raising our coverage due to rising material costs, etc, and also due to the increase in value of our home. Sad to say, he's going to be retiring soon, and I don't know what our new agent's going to be like.

Question re: Hagerty... Do they have a mileage limit? I know that alot of the specialty car insurance companies have a 1500 mile cap per year, and I think there are a couple with a 2500 mile limit. Grundy has no limit on mileage, and only specifies (1)that the insured car not be your daily driver, and (2) that you have proof of your daily driver and it's insurance coverage (with another carrier, btw).

Nationwide uses NADA collectible book value as its basis for coverage, and requests that you provide pictures.
Grundy, like most of the specialty companies use an "agreed value" and requires that you provide pictures to their underwriting division.

My 2 cents
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 09:40 AM

[QUOTE=BobG;127261]That may boil down to your agent.

Question re: Hagerty... Do they have a mileage limit? I know that alot of the specialty car insurance companies have a 1500 mile cap per year, and I think there are a couple with a 2500 mile limit. Grundy has no limit on mileage, and only specifies (1)that the insured car not be your daily driver, and (2) that you have proof of your daily driver and it's insurance coverage (with another carrier, btw).

Yes, , and my agent is not so thorough as yours, I'm afraid.

As far as mileage limits with Hagerty, I looked at my policy and there is no specific limits stated. However, that being said, the mileage is more limited by the fact that I have the car registered as an antique vehicle in the state of Pa. But, looking at the vehicle code, the way it is stated is rather "open to interpretation."
It states:

USE OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC REGISTRATION PLATES
The use of antique and classic plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: It is
unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic registration plates for general daily
transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional
transportation and similar uses. Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

So you are not "supposed" to use as a DD and only drive it occasionally.
I guess it depends on how much you can drive in one week!

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Stated Value = The most you will get if your car is stolen or totaled. Not a guaranteed amount.

Agreed Value = What you & the insurance company agree the car is worth. The amount you will receive if the car is totaled or stolen.

Just did major battle with my Nationwide agent over this issue. I requested and thought I was paying for Agreed Value. Checked my policy & it indicated Stated Value. Called my agent and they asked me "What's the difference?" Nationwide does not offer Agreed Value Car Insurance. They do, however, offer Agreed Value on the motorcycle policies.

I just signed up for Hagerty with my GTO and there are no mileage limitations. They did want a copy of the insurance policy for my primary vehicles to verify that I will not be using it as a daily driver.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 04:05 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Showgoat67 Send a message via MSN to Showgoat67
car insurance

I have my gto and wifes cuda thru jc taylor been there for years a 25,000 policy for gto is $205.00 a year.The $75,000 policy for cuda is $456.00 a year.

hope this helps.

kenny

If it isnt a GTO then why are you driving it.[email protected]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Got my policy from Hagerty. I was a little surprised to see that $24.00 of my bill was to sign me up for "Hagerty Plus Membership" (Free towing for 10 miles). The agent didn't ask me if I wanted this, and didn't let me know I was signing up for it. I wouldn't have spent the $24.00 if I had been given the option. Is this normal?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:54 PM

I have 6 cars with Hagerty...and just recently filed a glass claim....all in all, best insurance company i've ever dealt with...Highly Recommend them!!*_*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in