User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Harmonic Balancer Install

After replacing the timing chain in my 455, I borrowed an install tool to replace the balancer. I was surprised with a little lube and a firm push, it slid right on, I didn't even need the tool. Is this unusual for a Pontiac V8? Also my cordless impact has about 130 lb/ft of torque. Is that enough to torque the bolt with some locktite or does it need the full 160 lbs. If so, whats a good way to keep the motor from turning over, I've read some odd suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
A Pontiac V8 damper is not like a common Chevy damper which is press fit and goes on best with an installation tool. The Pontiac V8 damper slides on and the 15/16" head bolt needs to be torqued to 140 ft lbs. Failure to torque properly, the damper bolt will loosen and the damper will often walk on the key way, eventually cracking in the key way. Have disassembled a few core engines that there was a big chunk of steel missing out of the damper and it migrated up into the timing chain with timing chain bound up then jumping time... a real mess.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 PM

160 lb.ft for the crank bolt. Get it reasonably tight, and once it is back in the car put it in first gear and have a buddy stand on the brakes. Also, I try to keep loctite away from engine internals. That crusty goo can mess up an oil system.

But I never even realized there was a tool to fit the balancer. Got any pictures?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I'd like to add that your cordless impact wrench is NOT a torque wrench.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...rench-239.html

Torque Wrench Testing - Shop Tools - Car Craft Magazine

Rent one at an auto parts store or add it to your toolbox.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the imput. I have torque wrenches, just need to keep this motor from turning over so I can crank it down. Working by myself.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Pull the flywheel dust cover / converter cover and tightly clamp a big 'ol pair of Vise Grips onto the flywheel / flex plate so that they're wedged up against the passenger side of the block. You'll then be able to torque the crank bolt down to spec with no problems - all by yourself. If you need to remove it, do the same with only with them on the driver's side.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks bear. I remembered someone mentioning this before. I'll git'er done this week, time to wake the goat from her long winter nap. I had a small leak from the timing cover so I thought I'd go ahead and replace the chain while it was off. I've also added new QA1 shocks, 1 5/16 sway bar and new power steering gear box. Anxious to see how it performes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in