Have you guys read the fuel article in HPP? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you guys read the fuel article in HPP?

They did some dyno testing with a SD 455, found some power with it by changing the fuel. Rather interesting article. FYI you can pick up more than 20ftlbs and 10hp if you have more compression than the SD did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I read the article. Pretty good explanation of how gas "works".

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

You read the second one with the dyno test too right?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
RaceKrafters is local to me. They will be rebuilding my motor when the time comes. I have to pick up a donation from them from our Pontiac show and will be asking them about the article.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455 View Post
You read the second one with the dyno test too right?
Yes,I did.......I don't know all that much about Ethanol, but I was suprised with the results. I am going to look deeper into the whole thing. I am not sure if Ethanol is a "passing fad" or not..........

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
Yes,I did.......I don't know all that much about Ethanol, but I was suprised with the results. I am going to look deeper into the whole thing. I am not sure if Ethanol is a "passing fad" or not..........
Once you run it you will like it. Its not a passing fad, it is growing and people might as well find out for themselves about it. Most of what you hear is false about it, especially about how it affects engines. I like it because of all the benefits it has, and because I can run lots of compression so I have a use for 72cc heads now. I can build an engine and not worry about if it has too much compression or not enough to drive on the street.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have no problem with ethanol. The issue I have is how it's manufactured. Using corn that farmers raise to go towards ethanol rather than going elsewhere. Can't blame the farmers because their paychecks are higher. Just need to find a different source. I know they're trying different products, but I believe corn still leads the way.....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Well there are some interesting things about that 68gg. The variety of corn used in ethanol is fed mainly to cattle, it is very different from the type you get at the store, and still different from the corn they use to make corn chips. Its an industrial product, and you really dont want to eat it yourself, I have and it dont taste good.

The cool thing about making ethanol with it is the fermentation process removes the starch and leaves everything else. That amounts to about a third of it. It just happens that the third the yeast eat is what cattle cannot digest. They can however digest what is left over, except for the outer cellulosic shell of the kernel which yeast wont eat either. When you feed this stuff, which is called Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles(DDGS), to cattle they grow faster, gain weight faster with less feed, and produce less waste and methane. So you are getting two uses out of it, not just one. There are other things we can do with DDGS too, and actually it makes industrial corn edible for humans. Think Soylent Green but with corn and not people.

What that means is we can make more food if we make alcohol fuel from it first. One way the revenuers found the moonshiners was going to the county fair. The guys with the fattest hogs and cattle most often had stills. They used what comes out of the still to feed the livestock, and they were always fatter with more meat than the straight corn fed or grass fed livestock.

I am not pullin your leg man. I grew up on a farm and bought my first car with money I earned growing and selling sweet corn. We planted 18 rows on the end of our field corn, and it is very different if you see them side by side. The vast majority of corn grown in the us is the field corn that we dont eat directly, and that is what is used to make ethanol. We also produce billions more bushels of it than we can possibly use, and less than half of it has been used to make fuel, while most of it feeds cattle, both with and without fermentation. Nobody is starving because we plant field corn and make fuel with it, if they were then we wouldnt have a huge surplus of it. When people tell you that, they either dont know the facts about agriculture, or they are trying to get you to keep using gasoline and thus oil.

I dont use corn to make mine, it wont grow up here in far northern Michigan with the rocks, trees and short season. Within 5 years we will be making it from all sorts of waste products in addition to corn, some plants already are. So in the not too distant future it will pay to know what you can do with it and how to get the most from it. That is why I am learning about it and testing everything. I wanted to know first hand instead of taking peoples word for it wen they said it ruins this or destroys that.

That and I love the power and easy tuning.

I think they could have gotten more from it on the dyno, the carb they used probably isnt maximized, but they still work well. we can still improve on Quick Fuel carbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in