Header gasket blown...need advice.... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Header gasket blown...need advice....

I have a 69' GTO with a 400 engine and it has Hedman Headers. I just got the new gaskets in. Any advice on changing the gaskets, that might help me, so I don't run into any problems?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Garage
Collector, or block? No issues replacing, unbolt, install new, retighten, pretty straight forward.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Did you check the head to make sure it isn't warped or cracked? It is very cheap to have a head cut straight again.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:59 AM

Be sure you get EVERY piece of the old gasket off the head and header before installing the new gaskets. I once replaced gaskets on a big block Chevy, didn't take the header all the way out thinking this was a quick easy job. When I started it up it ticked a little, so I tightened the bolts a little more, and then a little more, but the ticking didn't go away. Pulled the header back off and found a small piece of the old gasket still stuck on there. BUT, since I had continued to tighten the bolts I bent the header flange and wound up buying a new set of headers as a result of my stupidity.
Also, I recommend the Fel Pro composite header gaskets. They are re-useable and last for years. I have a set on my Corvette that was on the first engine when I blew it in 2004, still sealing great on the new engine seven years later. Just put a set on the GTO last year.

'68 GTO, 400/TH400, AC/PS/PB/PW, hideaways, Hurst dual gate
'72 442 'Vert, 350/TH350, AC/PS/PB/PW
'74 Corvette, 383/4-speed, 450 hp, restomod
'71 Javelin, 304/3-speed
'70 Cougar XR7 'Vert, 351W/FMX auto *SOLD*
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

I pulled the entire gasket off, but there is one issue. The bolt to the right of the center part of the header is impossible to unscrew and tighted. I realized that the reason I have a leak on both sides of my engine is because of this previous owner never tightened this bolt. Any ideas on how to get to that bolt. Should i shave a wrench down?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshack80 View Post
I pulled the entire gasket off, but there is one issue. The bolt to the right of the center part of the header is impossible to unscrew and tighted. I realized that the reason I have a leak on both sides of my engine is because of this previous owner never tightened this bolt. Any ideas on how to get to that bolt. Should i shave a wrench down?
I went with ARP header bolts, which have a smaller head size. I think they use a 3/8" wrench, maybe 7/16"? Been too long, and I'm miles away from the car this weekend. If you want to stick with stock style bolts then I guess you'd have to shave the wrench head down, or you can try to dimple the header a little right where it meets the bolt.

'68 GTO, 400/TH400, AC/PS/PB/PW, hideaways, Hurst dual gate
'72 442 'Vert, 350/TH350, AC/PS/PB/PW
'74 Corvette, 383/4-speed, 450 hp, restomod
'71 Javelin, 304/3-speed
'70 Cougar XR7 'Vert, 351W/FMX auto *SOLD*
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Allen Head bolt. They come in all shapes, sizes, and material. Like Stainless Steel. They are really handy for tight spots that you can't use an open end wrench on. I have some ball end Allen Keys that help with angles like that area your talking about. I would also use anti-seize on the threads. Any good supply store has the bolts. I like Tractor Supply for a chain store to buy bolts and screws from, because they are cheaper and sell by weight. I have a couple tool stores by me. That sell bolts, straps, and the such that are locally own that I like even better.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:16 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I like likethat's solution. Personally, I have used shortened bolts sometimes, and I have ground down and bent "special" wrenches to do the job. You WILL be tightening them fairly regularly as part of the tubing header experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in