User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
heater core

I wheeled my 67 Goat into the drive way and stuck a hose to the large tube on the heater core. The connection was miserable and water squirted all over me and the engine compartment.(stop laughing lol)
At 1st nothing happened.Then I got a small trickle. Then a good amount of water came out all orange colored. I stopped a bit then more orange water. All the while my wife watching the interior for leaks.
After a bit water started dripping slowely from this weird little ........whosmadinky. (looks like that's what it's for?)
Then a bit started comming out of the heater outlet on the hump.
But, the "potting" around the tubes in the engine compartment is pretty loose so maybe thats where the water's comming from. around the sides of the tubes?
I had a lot of pressure going on.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2031.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	9636  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 03:50 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Okay---we've got potting and hump issues here. Here's what's going on, if I got it right: the potting must be putty, or dum dum, around the heater tubes. it is not meant to hold coolant inside the heater core. It is there to stop underhood air from entering the heater box. The rusty water dripping out of the whosmadinky onto the hump has nothing to do with the potting. It is water leaking from your blown heater core down the pivot shaft of the heater plenum door. You need to remove the heater housing and replace the heater core. While you're at it, you can clean and lube all the heater plenum doors and levers, get all the rust out of there, and have a nice, clean, warm heater for the next 20+ years. After you get all this done, you can have a Christmas toddy....just don't get potted!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Okay---we've got potting and hump issues here. Here's what's going on, if I got it right: the potting must be putty, or dum dum, around the heater tubes. it is not meant to hold coolant inside the heater core. It is there to stop underhood air from entering the heater box. The rusty water dripping out of the whosmadinky onto the hump has nothing to do with the potting. It is water leaking from your blown heater core down the pivot shaft of the heater plenum door. You need to remove the heater housing and replace the heater core. While you're at it, you can clean and lube all the heater plenum doors and levers, get all the rust out of there, and have a nice, clean, warm heater for the next 20+ years. After you get all this done, you can have a Christmas toddy....just don't get potted!!!

In order to save $100 I had a radiator shop pressure test my original heater core when they serviced the radiator on the 66, long story short, I put the car back together, cranked it up and guess what? The core was leaking into the passenger floor board. I spent the better part of 2 days removing and replacing the hood, inner and outer passenger's fenders to install a new heater core.

Consider the $100 a cheap insurance policy,

Randy

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
change it now....not after the car is finished and your new carpet is saturated with coolant!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

Let me get this straight............ water dripping from that hole FOR SURE means the heater core is smoked and that water did not get in there by another route?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:52 PM

Garage
If the cars apart, replace the core, especially if its clogged and no water is coming out the return when you shoot water in, it should flow 100% without a great connection.
My 66, I took the hose off and the fitting moves when I wiggled the hose. I dont' have to pressure test it to know that its junk..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
Let me get this straight............ water dripping from that hole FOR SURE means the heater core is smoked and that water did not get in there by another route?
It's possible for water to have leaked into the heater box if your gaskets and seals are worn out. If you change the core most of the aftermarket suppliers also sell heater box gasket kits,

Randy

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 PM

Garage
Pressure check the core and see if it leaks. Block up one hose, fill the core, then apply pressure and look for leaks. 120 PSI is too much, try 15, so regulate the pressure.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:39 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Look---the car has sat for years. It's partially disassembled right now. While it is possible that water got into the heater box past the firewall seals "potting", it just makes good sense to put a new heater core in it and clean up and lube the heater box doors and hardware. Why do this job after the new carpet is trashed and the car is all together? This is one place on a GTO (like a cheap throw-out bearing) that you can't afford to cut corners. The labor to re-do the job is many times the cost of the part. Plus, after it's all done, you can get POTTED!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

Ok, sounds like a plan. I really had to force the hose on there and got no flow at all at 1st.
As for potted.......(MWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)
That begins in 8 more days when I go to CA for Xmas and to pay a last visit to the GTO's grave site to hunt missing parts.
Rock on my Mentors !
: party::

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in