User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Heater core problem, hood seal? (pic )

So I bought this 68 lemans through a dealer, so unfortunately, I can't talk to the original owner. Here is my situation. I noticed the guy had the heater core bypassed, and wondered why? Maybe the core leaks, maybe the heat don't shut off, so he just bypassed it. but then I got looking at old threads here on the forum, and someone pointed out that you need a seal at the top of cowl, where it meets the hood..... Well, it doesn't look like I have a seal there at all. So now, I'm wondering if this is why he bypassed the core, maybe he had heat coming inside the car all the time from the heat off the engine? Well, anyway, thought I would share a pic with you, and see what you guys think. I probably should order one huh ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
More than likely you have a heater core that is leaking, place a few towels in the passenger floor, connect the hoses and see if that is the problem,

Randy

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO View Post
More than likely you have a heater core that is leaking, place a few towels in the passenger floor, connect the hoses and see if that is the problem,
Yep, that was my first thought also..... I will do that asap.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Second the heater core is why he by-passed it. Takes a lot of patience to change one. Be sure to purchase a good quality replacement heater core because that's not a job you want to repeat any time soon.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
so, as long as we are on the subject of changing out the heater core, do I need to pull the fender to do it, or no ? seems like I have heard both ways..... I would rather not, but if I have to, I have to...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 PM

Not necessary to remove the fender, but it sure helps to remove the inner fender or at least loosen the rear portion so you have easier access to the bolts on the lower firewall. Just take your time and make sure you have all of the right bolts loose before you start tugging.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
well..... I hooked it up today, and no leaks. I ran the motor for a good half hour, and it was pouring out the heat inside the car, and I did not see a leak anywhere..... Makes me think now, the guy just unhooked it so he wasn't getting any warmth off of it during the summer time.... Or, like I said, there is no cowl seal out there and he was getting heat off of the engine, and going down the cowl and into the car.... I don't know, but I'm glad I don't have to change a heater core out..... Lol
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 PM

Glad to hear that bit of good news. Sometimes you get lucky and simple fix takes care of it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:40 PM

cowl seal

if you are getting heat inside the car when driving, try the cowl seal as it is missing in the photo. I had the same problem with mine and new seal...no heat inside
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 gto View Post
if you are getting heat inside the car when driving, try the cowl seal as it is missing in the photo. I had the same problem with mine and new seal...no heat inside
Yep, I am going to order one. Now that it seems the core is ok, I'm guessing that might be the reason the guy before bypassed the core, because of all the heat he was getting in the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in