Hell of a day at swap meet!! Hurst GTO info. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hell of a day at swap meet!! Hurst GTO info.

Went to the Moultrie swap meet today with the intent to pick up a 66 GTO hood for my car, no luck. So, first I found a trunk lid, drivers door and some windshield side pieces. Thinking all the parts were too much money, I played off the parts, nasty original trunk lids are $200. I needed the windshield side, so asked the price, he said $5!!! So, bought both, then picked up the stainless for them, $20 for both sides and stainless! Cheap enough, asked about the trunk lid, he said $25, SOLD!! It had a bunch of quarter side rust spots on it and a dent in the trim, but no rust holes or bondo. Then got a complete door with no rust holes or dents, nasty dirty but complete with window and vent for $50!!! And loaded it in his truck and took it to my van. Does it get better?? Yes it does! Went to Softseal and got all gaskets except the trunk for $130, doors, uppers, vents and cowl! Sorry for the lengthy story, but was a great day.. Then, after the second time around the 40 acres, feet aching, buddy calls and said he just showed up and hasn't been there before, so off I go again, meanwhile back at our stall guys are selling all my stuff off! So, went to a booth and guy has a bunch of boxes marked 66 GTO. Open a big one up and thought it was a headliner, but GOLD, EEAAKK! Ended up being all new door panels. Asked about it, he had a whole gold interior brand new for $100!!! Owner didn't like gold, so bought black. Got door panels, seat backs, seat bottoms, all seat covers, front and rear, and all door handle pulls with new covers!! Offered $80 and he said fine. 1 seat cover was installed and removed, others don't even have holes in them from hog rings, brand new! Took the interior back to our stall, and guys were looking at my 99 Original Vette rims, asking $100 a set, told them I'd sell em cheap, they asked how cheap, I said $75, they said sold.. So, interior was $5!! Unreal deal on an interior. Still need carpet and headliner, but that's OK. The Karma guys have shined on me, now I'm scared I'll get hit by a bus or something, was VERY carefull driving home. When it was said and done, I took $500 with me, got a trunk lid, drivers door, windshield sides, all seals, and a complete interior, plus a big shop fan, buffing wheels and went home with $399 cash!!! Spent $101 I am still stoked about the whole day!
Long story, but a hell of a day. All my interior needed was door panels, and they were $300 on ebay. So, now I have a complete black interior for sale, good shape with original door panels that need carpet at the bottom, or a gold interior minus door panels.
Now, I was thinking with the gold interior about building it into a Hurst GTO.. Can't find much info on the net on them, the car is a Cloan, but am building it really nice, will be solid metal, not a bondo bucket. Any info on the Hurst would be cool, freelance ideas are welcome. But Hurst cars were 67 with the Dual gate-3 speed trans. Hate the gold, but it's so retro, and I'm thinking I'll sell it when it's done, so just trying to make it really nice. Gold interior, but black carpet and headliner just to tone it down, the gold is real shiny.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
great score Jet....i actually like the gold on the classics, first car was a gold 69' bird and i also had a 76' gold bird

heres one with the hurst wheels also....see Royal Bobcats and the thom Mchann give away cars too

Gold 1966 GTO Hardtop - Ultimate Pontiac GTO Photo Detail
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 AM
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)

Good story Jet.
Swap meets have always been Magick places for me too

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, good info g8tor. I have a black interior and like it. So am really having issues with the gold, just can't wrap my brain around it. Black car, gold accents and interior, could look real good. Or dye the door panels black and sell the rest of the stuff off. Found some Hurst wheels, $2000 a set used! So, no Hurst wheels for this guy, back to the drawing board, lol..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

Last edited by jetstang; 02-06-2011 at 08:20 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
billet specialties makes some customs that look a lot like the Hurst wheels.....still run you around a grand though unless you can find used like i did for 600 w/rubber...., one of my good scores!!

Billet Specialties

Billet Specialties Street Star 15x8, 5x4.50, 4.50 bs - eBay (item 140344231387 end time Feb-27-11 13:49:11 PST)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 AM
67 Basket Case Restorer

Garage
Sounds like you made the best of a soggy situation. I love it when I find bargains like that. I would've been a sucker for the complete interior for that price too and am sitting here wondering how Gold would look in my Chevelle...

Don't want to rain, more, on your parade, but I wish I had known you needed the weatherstripping. I bought a complete set for my Chevelle and it came as Sofseal. I wanted Metro as they have a better rep for fit, so I bought the roof rails, doors, vents and trunk, again, from Metro and have the Sofseals still in the plastic, unopened.... Guess I should take some pics and get them in the classifieds.

Mitch
1967 GTO; Gulf Turquoise on Black, 4 speed, buckets SOLD
1967 Camaro ss/rs 350
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Chevelle Malibu
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1962 Impala SS
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good story, I wish I could get lucky liek that. My best friend back home always get's stupid good deals like that. He bought a 93 RX7 with a rebuilt motor and and new turbos for 8k. They go for like 12 with blown motors still. Then he sold the drivetrain for 3500, when they normally go for 2. Crazy.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing, Jet. The Hurst campaign type GTO's were from '65-'67, and were all about selling the Hurst Wheels. Your'66 clone would be absolutely "spot on" if it were gold on gold with a set of hurst wheels. Or Gold with the white panels.... I have to tell you, or, as Paul Junior would say "to be perfectly honest with you", I pulled the gold interior out of my '67 and installed a parchment interior!!! That was 18 years ago.....now, as an older and wiser man, I'm starting to warm up to the gold, as it is, indeed, RETRO!!! Great score...you're doing a 2010's resto and paying 1970's junkyard prices!!!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Our Big Sunflower swap meet was this weekend also. Great thing about it, is it is inside 3 huge buildings with heat. Which is good in Kansas this time of year. My club as had a space in it for over 20 years now. So I haven't missed one in all that time. It's spaces are always sold out too.
As E-bay kicked off, I wondered if the swap meet would be a thing of the past. But haven't seen any signs of that happening yet. Still can find great deals like yours JET!!

This is all I found this weekend, but Pontiac pickings are always lean I think.. Would have like to seen it on the car and asked the owner why the Pontiac was needed above the GTO???? Enjoyed your story thanks for shareing..Les

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 03:04 AM

haha my 69 came expresso brown with gold trim and interior and im going to black interior haha i cant stand gold... its funny how peoples tastes vary so much. glad you had such a good day.

69 gto with a 455 HO
video of the beast runnin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkpC9y92tBk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in