User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, newb here. :)

Hi guys,
Name's Jarred and I just picked up a 1970 Tempest Custom/LeMans and thought I would join here.

I'm new to ole skewl Pontiac's and have tons of questions that'll need answering in due time.

My car's originally a 6.6 car with a 3-speed auto.
Has a weak 326 in it right now rated at a whopping 250hp.. whoopie! Lol.

In the process of getting a 400 from a 78 T/a with the 2.11 valve heads. I cant seem to find the details about the heads though, casting number is 9791214 54?

So far this purticular engine I'm looking at is hard to get details on.
What do you guys recommend as far as getting around 400+ hp out of a 200hp rated t/a motor/heads?

Here's my car:

Need's a mild restore but its relatively clean despite never being restored.
Traded it for a 96 v6 firebird.

Also, checked the VIN and it seems its called a "Tempest Custom" But I cant seem to figure out what badges they had in '70? It's missing a bunch of badges but I have no clue which.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to building this car.

Jarred "Hot Rod" |1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport | Just a 350...

Last edited by Hot_Rod; 02-10-2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Sorry for the double post, computer was acting up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's a really sharp car, I like the Lemans 6.6 stripes.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 AM

Welcome to the club.

Nice car.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecision View Post
That's a really sharp car, I like the Lemans 6.6 stripes.
Thanks. I probably wont be keeping them though, car needs a paintjob and I hate the color. Definatly not a pontiac color. Lol.

Probably going black or potentially the original blue(color of the seatbelts)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
Welcome to the club.

Nice car.
Thanks alot.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Rod View Post
So far this purticular engine I'm looking at is hard to get details on.
What do you guys recommend as far as getting around 400+ hp out of a 200hp rated t/a motor/heads?
Howdy Hot Rod, we're neighbors - sort of. I live in Garland.

The 400 is a great choice if you're after power. 400 blocks are stronger than 455's, and they can be stroked to 460+ inches using off the shelf parts. A lot depends on the rest of the car (transmission, gearing, converter if it's an automatic, etc.), what you want to do with it, and (of course) your budget.

I'm in the process of restoring my 69 GTO, and built my original 400 into a 461. How does this dyno sheet grab ya?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:07 PM

Hot Rod,

Welcome to the higher "side" of GM performance!

Based on your comments, first things first. Get Jim Hand's "How to Build Max-performance Pontiac V8s" published by SA Designs. This is the only current "study" of the ol' Injun (what we affectionately refer to the Pontiac as). Learn the history and the strong and weak points of the engine. Identification of parts is also covered there, to a point. It IS 7 years old now, so some of the info is a bit "dated", as we're constantly evolving the engine. The "base" combo Jim uses is also very "specific", so some of what he did doesn't apply to all builds.

Ames Perfomance is, IMO, the best source for "things Pontiac", such as the emblems and decals you're talking about. Performance Years is another really good one. These are the only two I know of that don't also sell Chevy parts. Year-1, Classic, OPGI, The Paddock, all sell Chevy stuff, and you MIGHT get Chevelle stuff because "it fits".

The Tempest is a great platform for a performance car. Once you determine exactly what you have to work with, we can "steer" you to a good build.

Jim
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Rod View Post
Thanks. I probably wont be keeping them though, car needs a paintjob and I hate the color. Definatly not a pontiac color. Lol.
So paint it and have the stripes re-applied. I have never seen them like that before. Very unique.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
welcome to the herd Hot_Rod...That can be one hell of a sleeper car... the stripes are unique....look kinda like Yenko stripes, i would do them again when you paint it. And you can take it to the bank that they look good if you get 100% thumbs up around here from all us purists....most stripe jobs get shot down immediately, but that looks "Right" on that car. i would look for a pre 75' 400 block as they were stronger castings, the motor guys will help you build a motor on paper within a set budget(Mr. P-Body & Bear are always very knowledgeable in real world applications for our motors and are most accommodating with help and suggestions). I am a Tempest/Lemans guy too...gives you a little leeway to customize it (stripes, etc.) since it will not effect the value as it would a true GTO. Am trying to work a deal now for a 70' Judge originally Orbit Orange RAIV 400, if i get that car it will be a concourse resto to original, and the 66' Tempest will be my whipping post....

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 PM

sweeeeeet my younger brother had one of those but no cool stripe- welcome
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Howdy Hot Rod, we're neighbors - sort of. I live in Garland.

The 400 is a great choice if you're after power. 400 blocks are stronger than 455's, and they can be stroked to 460+ inches using off the shelf parts. A lot depends on the rest of the car (transmission, gearing, converter if it's an automatic, etc.), what you want to do with it, and (of course) your budget.

I'm in the process of restoring my 69 GTO, and built my original 400 into a 461. How does this dyno sheet grab ya?

Bear
Thats very nice. That possible with a 78 t/a 400 rated at 200hp? lol
Cause I did end up getting it, couldnt pass it up cause it didnt cost me anything but time to pick it up and trade for my 350 sbc I didnt need anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
Hot Rod,

Welcome to the higher "side" of GM performance!

Based on your comments, first things first. Get Jim Hand's "How to Build Max-performance Pontiac V8s" published by SA Designs. This is the only current "study" of the ol' Injun (what we affectionately refer to the Pontiac as). Learn the history and the strong and weak points of the engine. Identification of parts is also covered there, to a point. It IS 7 years old now, so some of the info is a bit "dated", as we're constantly evolving the engine. The "base" combo Jim uses is also very "specific", so some of what he did doesn't apply to all builds.

Ames Perfomance is, IMO, the best source for "things Pontiac", such as the emblems and decals you're talking about. Performance Years is another really good one. These are the only two I know of that don't also sell Chevy parts. Year-1, Classic, OPGI, The Paddock, all sell Chevy stuff, and you MIGHT get Chevelle stuff because "it fits".

The Tempest is a great platform for a performance car. Once you determine exactly what you have to work with, we can "steer" you to a good build.

Jim
I've looked at all those sites and I cant find any tempest badges. Only lemans and gt/t-37 badges. Hmm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indecision View Post
So paint it and have the stripes re-applied. I have never seen them like that before. Very unique.
Depends what it'll cost me, lol. These were actually painted when the car was repainted.

As far as classic cars go I'm an orginal kinda guy, hence why I dont much care for the stripes. But thats just me, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
welcome to the herd Hot_Rod...That can be one hell of a sleeper car... the stripes are unique....look kinda like Yenko stripes, i would do them again when you paint it. And you can take it to the bank that they look good if you get 100% thumbs up around here from all us purists....most stripe jobs get shot down immediately, but that looks "Right" on that car. i would look for a pre 75' 400 block as they were stronger castings, the motor guys will help you build a motor on paper within a set budget(Mr. P-Body & Bear are always very knowledgeable in real world applications for our motors and are most accommodating with help and suggestions). I am a Tempest/Lemans guy too...gives you a little leeway to customize it (stripes, etc.) since it will not effect the value as it would a true GTO. Am trying to work a deal now for a 70' Judge originally Orbit Orange RAIV 400, if i get that car it will be a concourse resto to original, and the 66' Tempest will be my whipping post....

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian
As far as what I'm looking for I just want to be in the 400hp range and have good streetibility. Probably stick with an orginal 350/3-speed and a stockish rear gear.

Budget is kinda limited maybe less than 2500$ range.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in