Help with 68 GTO value? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help with 68 GTO value?

I have been an import guy all my life (own an 08 STI) and have done 400whp 240sx Nissans. I have owned a camaro and a Hemi Charger new one but have no idea what to look for on older cars. I am older now and maturing some and just completed my last import project which is for sale.

Once it sales, I have been looking into getting a GTO. Looked at a roadrunner once and should have bought it in 1990 a 73 or 72 purple for 2200. LOL

I have read through the threads here and tried to look up prices online but as the classic cars have crashed along with the economy. They have become more reasonable. I however, do not know how to distinquish a 5 grand car from a 10 grand one to a 20 grand one. The prices like the cars seem to be all over the board. I read on here about the 5n and 2l codes for 4 speeds and gto package but what are the main things to look for when buying one of these cars? as compared to modern import electronics and computers it should be a lot easier from that stand point right? More mechanical, what GTOs are worth more? 4 bbl or 2bbls and basically what is a short list to make for when buying one of these. I really do like the looks of the 68 and its coke body chevelle based chassis. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jackanapes
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIJames View Post
I have been an import guy all my life....

Once it sales, I have been looking into getting a GTO.
You could go for the best of both worlds an put some kind of euro engine in a goat. Something from BMW or Mercedes maybe.

Quote:
Looked at a roadrunner once and should have bought it in 1990 a 73 or 72 purple for 2200. LOL
You need to regret that for the rest of your days with self loathing and agony

Quote:
I really do like the looks of the 68 and its coke body chevelle based chassis. Thanks
Yes it is my personal preference. I hope some of the wiser board members can chime in but I just got a 68 for 2500. 1968 Pontiac GTO

I would say to lurk around on Craigslist or even ebay classifieds eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) - Post & Search Free Local Classified Ads.

Pontiac GTO for sale | Hemmings Motor News

...I see one for 84k

1968 Pontiac GTO 2 Door Hardtop Prices, Values & Specs | NADAguides

NADA is a guide but you may stumble on a barn find like I did...

I was scooping out the raccoon scat today....

A rodents eye view of my stinky goat...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coon Scat.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	15073  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

yeah the car I restored was another Nissan all original with low miles. I am looking for a certain car and will know when I see it It has to be the right car for the right price and the right time. I will pay good money for the right car and am not looking for a project or something I have to work on since I can not do body work and while I am as good as anyone with an engine. I am not that great in auto body stuff although I have people that are.

Just like that car you bought though I see them all over the place and finding a clone or mismatched car does not matter to me if the deal is right. Yeah I am not going to stick a BMW or Benz motor in a GTO. I have done motor swaps in Hondas and Nissans but I will keep this original as much as I can although a crate motor would not be out of the question.

Ideally I want to find a number matching machine that was original in all ways and do not mind paying for it. It is not a 67 so I am not too concerned with going into a fair price for the car. Basically, I am really confused what makes 10-12 grand GTO daily driving car and what makes a 20 grand car. Miles, colors, options, naturally change pricing but I do not like to lose money on cars especially ones I own and do not want to overpay the market.

It will take a little time but I will find the right one for me.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanapes View Post
You could go for the best of both worlds an put some kind of euro engine in a goat. Something from BMW or Mercedes maybe.
Dude, you should be beaten for even suggesting that. No really, slap yourself.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jackanapes
Diesel Goat... Yeah

Quote:
yeah the car I restored was another Nissan all original with low miles. I am looking for a certain car and will know when I see it It has to be the right car for the right price and the right time.
That is what it is all about. Speaking of Datsun I would like to play around with a dime some time. Have you ever looked at the 510?

Quote:

Ideally I want to find a number matching machine that was original in all ways and do not mind paying for it.

Basically, I am really confused what makes 10-12 grand GTO daily driving car and what makes a 20 grand car. Miles, colors, options, naturally change pricing but I do not like to lose money on cars especially ones I own and do not want to overpay the market.

It will take a little time but I will find the right one for me.
The trailer queens are not hard to pick out as they have the high finish investment grade type show cars. But if you are like me you want to cut loose and waste some rubber in style. You seem knowledgeable so you know the subjective nature of some cars that have a story to tell and others that are over done extensions of the ego.

There is the factor of overpricing due to the money pit effect. I don't intend to recapture all the cost entailments. I just want to have fun.:

It is good to switch things around and get into new automotive genres so good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etewald View Post
Dude, you should be beaten for even suggesting that. No really, slap yourself.
GM 6.2L Buildup - Diesel Power Magazine

Hey what about a diesel and I could put a dana 60 in the rear end. I might get 28 mpg...

hey my daily driver is a diesel Volkswagen so I can dream outside the box.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That is what it is all about. Speaking of Datsun I would like to play around with a dime some time. Have you ever looked at the 510?
510s are nice but going up in price quite a bit, but yeah I love Nissans and Datsuns that is what I cut my teeth on. The Japan market 240sxs are known as silvias and have 2.0 liter turbo motors in them. My was a 11 second car before I sold it and the STI I own now is a low 13s and does 0-60 in 5 seconds. Just for fun I was playing around with some old 50s chevy today with a big ole v8 in it. He had a matching trailer with the car it was kind of cool. I threw him the deuces as I exited the on ramp to go look at a 68 GoaTO. He played some horn music which sounded like an old school cop car. It was funny. Car dudes are car dudes regardless of 50 years in age difference. Just a different time now.

Quote:
The trailer queens are not hard to pick out as they have the high finish investment grade type show cars. But if you are like me you want to cut loose and waste some rubber in style. You seem knowledgeable so you know the subjective nature of some cars that have a story to tell and others that are over done extensions of the ego.

There is the factor of overpricing due to the money pit effect. I don't intend to recapture all the cost entailments. I just want to have fun.:

It is good to switch things around and get into new automotive genres so good luck.
the 68 I looked at today had at some point been hit on the passenger side and the body panels did not line up, had an exhaust leak, and the headlights would not go up and down. The dude still wanted 16 grand for it and I was like man if I have to get the car repainted, pull the engine and do all the work on it myself I might as well start off with a 3-5 thousand dollar GTO and do all the work on it myself. It was not worth it. I am patient though and will find the right one at the right time. Might try some of the old school swap meets that they have going on.

Last edited by STIJames; 06-19-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in