Help Finding 65 389 Head Bolts (and other stuff) - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Help Finding 65 389 Head Bolts (and other stuff)

Had to tear down my 65 389. Sat in my father in law's garage for 15+ years, without any spark plugs and without the carb covered. Nothing was covered, so I figured this would be a good idea.

Which paid off, because the crap / debris found in the cylinders would have probably damaged a lot of other mechanical inside if it would have been put together and fired.

I've searched RockAuto, Summit, and a few other sites. Problem is, they have a HUGE variety of Head bolts, but most of the descriptions state that they are for High Performance / Performer heads. I can't really find anything that says "Stock" or "OEM" heads.

Can I get your feedback about what bolts might / should work with a stock 389 block with stock heads? Or where I can get them? I don't want to get the wrong bolts, and really screw up the motor.

Also, if I can get your feedback about what kind of gaskets I should put in (Head, Valve Cover, basically all of them). I want to do this tear down and rebuild right, the first time.

Thank You!

1966 Lemans w/ 1965 GTO 389 Motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 12:31 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
The original Pontiac V8 head bolts can be removed, cleaned, & reused. This is typical practice when rebuilding Pontiac V8's. Have always put aside nice head bolts out of engine cores that heads were sold off, blocks were sold off, etc. Eventually, go through all of the headbolts & put together whatever I need. Some specific headbolts like the passenger side center exhaust studded bolt for a '66 or '67 with AC, they are tougher to find. Reproduction Pontiac headbolts are avail through the PartsPlace, but they lack the correct head markings.... something that just doesn't cut it in many restorations.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 05:54 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
look at this from E-BAY https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...bolts&_sacat=0

if link does not work just type in 1965 389 Pontiac bolts anDd see what pops up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in