User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Help from someone with dealer installed hood tach

OK, sorry because I know there was a post on this before (in fact I commented on it). I have a 69 and I am interested in being reasonably accurate where this goes. I have looked all over and found a few references.i know the tach should mount where there is a void under the hood skin (no brace). I think I am reasonably sure where it should go, but it looks far away.

Can someone with a 68 or 69 that was originally equipped with a hood tach, please validate the distance from the rear-left point of the tach to the hood's left edge, and the same point of the tach to the rear edge of the hood. Like the diagram that I drew that is attached.

Based on what I have found, the rear left point of the tach should be 6.5 inches from the driver's side edge of the hood and 12.25 forward of the rear most edge.

Thanks so much!
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EPSON001.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	97730  

Torque (tork), n: 1. The tendency of a force to rotate the body to which it is applied. 2. See also: GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi. I'm in the same situation.looking for the correct location to mount the tach on my 69. Thanks for the post.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:04 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
If you do a search using the red "SEARCH" option found in the upper right corner (I assume everyone has this on their screen, but maybe not as I often can find an answer using this feature trying to help answer questions. Not being a smart butt either, but does this show up on all screens or do some computers/phones not show this feature?)

This may help:

https://www.gtoforum.com/f12/1970-gto...on-help-38892/

AND if that is not enough, check out this YouTube video with instructions and dimensions:

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
hood tach

I have my original judge hood, 69, for a template and or pics
available . factory hood tach hole ..........
Scott

[email protected]
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
The hood tach on my 68 was dealer installed. Here is a photo of the template I made when I transferred the holes to the new hood.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Shake and Bake, I made a template as well and I think I am close, but I don't have a hood to reference. The good thing is that these were dealer installed so no 2 are perfectly matched. I am having trouble reading some of your numbers.

The rear most 'rivet' hole: I think I read 9 3/4 to the side edge of the hood, but not sure about the rear edge. Is that 15 5/8?

The left most stud: I can't be sure about either of those numbers

The right most stud: Looks like 12 inches to left edge of hood, but I am not sure of the distance to the rear edge of the hood.

I think I know where I am going to place the tach, but I would like to do a sanity test with your numbers. One final question, the left and right stud - if I were to place a framing square on the left edge of the hood, they would be in line, right?

Thanks,
Mike

Torque (tork), n: 1. The tendency of a force to rotate the body to which it is applied. 2. See also: GTO
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeps View Post
Hi Shake and Bake, I made a template as well and I think I am close, but I don't have a hood to reference. The good thing is that these were dealer installed so no 2 are perfectly matched. I am having trouble reading some of your numbers.

The rear most 'rivet' hole: I think I read 9 3/4 to the side edge of the hood, but not sure about the rear edge. Is that 15 5/8?

The left most stud: I can't be sure about either of those numbers

The right most stud: Looks like 12 inches to left edge of hood, but I am not sure of the distance to the rear edge of the hood.

I think I know where I am going to place the tach, but I would like to do a sanity test with your numbers. One final question, the left and right stud - if I were to place a framing square on the left edge of the hood, they would be in line, right?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, sorry about the sloppy writing....I originally made the template and then took the photo for my own reference because I like to be able to double check my work. I should have taken time to improve my penmanship so I could share the photo with others later.

I believe the dealers had a template to follow whenever they were installing a hood tach. I have seen the instruction sheet for Firebirds but haven't seen one for a GTO but I presume they existed. Even so, it's reasonable to think that each install was slightly different. I have compared the location of my dealer installed tach to a factory hood tach car and the two were very close. If memory serves....the side to side dimension was dead on and the front/ back was 1/4" difference. I decided to match the dealer installed location exactly.

The rivet hole dimensions are 9 3/4" from left edge of hood and 15 5/8" from back edge of hood without the stainless molding in place.

Left stud dims are 7 5/8" and 13".
Right stud is 12" from left edge of hood and 12 3/8" from back edge of hood.
I don't think the two studs are perfectly square....I will check when I get home. If memory serves....I think the tach is just slightly rotated counter clockwise when viewed from above, but I will double check that and report back.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 08:49 PM

The two studs holes appear to be square to the centerline of the hood.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for both your replies and of course no worries on the clarity of the writing. Your post will help others so any information is good information. Just to be clear, when you say "square to the centerline of the hood", that is the same as my comment that if one were to lay a framing square along the left edge of the hood the two stud holes for the tach would be in a straight line, correct?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 09:30 PM

I am not sure exactly because my original hood is kinked on the left edge near the hinge location so i can't lay my framing square flat to check. I was able to check against the centerline ridge on the hood but even that was a bit challenging. My car is in the spray booth now so I can't check the replacement hood yet.

If both sides of the hood are parallel, then I would expect the stud holes to be square to the sides. If true, then this should also mean the rivet hole should be the same distance from the side edge as the center of the large hole. But my dimensions taken from the original dealer installed holes show a 1/8" difference (rotated 1/16") when measured from the sides.

When I get to check my car at the shop....I will measure the width of the hood at the front and back and see if those dimensions are the same....if so, then the side edges must be parallel and my template might be slightly off. If the hood is slightly wider at the rear compared to the front then perhaps the tach is "clocked" correctly.

Either way, there is likely enough play in the holes to install the tach so it is located correctly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in