Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can't say I've ever seen "Pink Mist"

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Pink Mist was a special order paint color in 1968. From what Special paint colors observed on this forum by members reporting back from what PHS told them, PHS has never been able to identify the special color, other than the car received a SPEC paint code. Might be hard to prove it came with that color unless by 68 the PHS records are better.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 05:22 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Garage
Pink Mist was a special order paint for 1968.

I found this,"Special order colors were -Custom Factory Paint is indicated by "2", "1", "4", "PRIMER", blank, '----', 'SPEC', or 'special.' The data plate for the Paint Code may have been marked "2" for Pontiac special order colors, "1" (or Blank) for non-Pontiac colors, and "4" (or "PRIMER) for primer-only finish.)
Pink Mist was an available special order color for 1968, paint number 868-99466."

And here is a more detailed website on the special colors for 1968 with paint chips. phscollectorcarworld: 1968 Pontiac Special Order Paint Codes
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:37 PM

And you can buy one here if you like it. Special paint noted on the window sticker.

1968 Pontiac GTO hardtop coupe 1 owner

Andy
'67 GTO/Signet Gold over Parchment/Pontiac Built
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Mary Kay GTO?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
Mary Kay GTO?
Online info says the first Mary Kay car to be painted pink was a 1968 Caddy. It says that the first pink cars were given out in 1970.

I read on another site that pink cars were given to the Playboy playmates beginning in 1964 to 1974, but none seemed to be Pontiacs.

Apparently the pink color could only be had on GTO's with the chrome bumper and was not available on the Endura bumpered GTO's.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:44 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Late sixtys until about 1973 my dad had a 66 Hemi Charger factory painted "evening orchid " (very similar pink to the pink mist) w a white interior. Traded it in on a 1973 Chevelle. I found out about 10 years ago that Chrysler made two in that color....one with black interior and one with white.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
Late sixtys until about 1973 my dad had a 66 Hemi Charger factory painted "evening orchid " (very similar pink to the pink mist) w a white interior. Traded it in on a 1973 Chevelle. I found out about 10 years ago that Chrysler made two in that color....one with black interior and one with white.
Yep, who knew, right? The '67 GTO convertible I owned was "Iris Mist" which is pretty close (previous owner had painted the exterior a Navy Blue, but door jams, trunk, etc. were still original in color). It was not available for '67, so it was a special order color. I worked at a restoration shop and I think I was 20 at the time. The data plate had no paint code under "paint." I recall asking one of the seasoned body men what the color was. He looked and was stumped as well. We had an Acme paint color book and I went through all the available colors for 1967. Ran across "Plum Mist," but there was no color chip. I asked the seasoned body man if he thought that was the color. He said it sounded like it, so I ordered a gallon. Needless to say, it was basically a burgundy and not a match. Never used it and never did at the time I owned the car figure out what color it was. Sold the car.

Being here on the forums I have learned a lot myself, and the sad part is that it seems there isn't any way to identify/confirm the special order colors and as I recall, the guy I sold it to was going to restore it in silver. So the car may still be floating around somewhere, but who would truly know it was "Iris Mist?" Like your Dad's Hemi Charger, how many special order Iris Mist, close ratio 4-speed/3.90 geared '67 GTO's do you think they made? Mine also had the factory Ram Air hood (minus the air cleaner because it had a tri-power on it) and AM-FM radio. Arghhhhh. Who knew?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 05:26 PM

Agreed it is frustrating that it's tough to document original special order paints, but I'm not sure I'd want to drive around a pink GTO just because it was a rare or special order model. I've seen Iris Mist on a 1965 (see ad in link - no affiliation). Nice cars but again not necessarily a mainstream choice. At least we have PHS available to give Pontiac owners better clues as to how these came from the factory. Many of the other makes have much less to reference.

1965 GTO Tri Power 4spd 3:90 Convertible

Andy
'67 GTO/Signet Gold over Parchment/Pontiac Built
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in