User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hideaway headlight don't open/close at the same time

Hello,
I have a 68 gto with the hideaways. All new lines and actuators. Original headlight switch. When I pull out the headlight switch to turn on the headlights one side opens completely then the other side opens completely. When I push the switch back in, one side closes then the other. I have switched lines and actuators but the same thing happens.
It seems that there isn't enough vacuum to do both at once. Any thoughts or help appreciated.
Thanks, Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:39 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtony67 View Post
Hello,
I have a 68 gto with the hideaways. All new lines and actuators. Original headlight switch. When I pull out the headlight switch to turn on the headlights one side opens completely then the other side opens completely. When I push the switch back in, one side closes then the other. I have switched lines and actuators but the same thing happens.
It seems that there isn't enough vacuum to do both at once. Any thoughts or help appreciated.
Thanks, Tony
No expert on this at all, but I have seen the drawings of the system. It has a vacuum tank/cannister. You may be missing this?

The other things to check would be any binding and make sure you have all the springs installed in the correct manner. Here is a website that has both the vacuum line diagram and mechanical parts of the system. Just click on them to open the PDF. Delaware Valley Old Goat Club
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I have the canister. Doesn't seem to be any binding. I'll look for a leak somewhere. They work but not at the same time.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I would look for a restriction in one of the hoses on the slow side.... maybe even a vacuum gauge
plugged into the end of the slow actuator hoses ....
pull the slow hose apart at the plastic splitters...
make sure the holes are nice n open in the fitting
look for a pinched hose on the slow side ... blow it out with compressed air ?
is your over center spring adjusted too tight ?
compare vacuum readings from fast one to slow one ...

swap the actuators side to side ..

un hook the lever arm to the hieaway and run just the actuators by them selves and check them for timing

Scott

then go for a drive to get fuel because it just idled for 1/2 an hour while you were testing

Last edited by BLK69JUDGE; 05-05-2019 at 01:08 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Good stuff! I'll check that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in