User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Historic Information/Research

Hey guys,

I recently grabbed a '67 GTO but nothing historical prior export from US is known.

I've been thinking a lot for using the phs, but is it worth $75.00 international for a few "coded" sheets? I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶b̶i̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶i̶e̶l̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶e̶f̶t̶ ̶-̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶d̶o̶c̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶o̶n̶e̶/̶D̶e̶a̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶/̶w̶a̶s̶?̶ Found a dealer chart here

And c'mon it's 2014 and i have to print out and mail or fax in the request? Really? *sigh*

I assume there is no other way or service to get hands on any info for my vehicle?

Kind regards
Sascha

Last edited by SnakeByte; 12-19-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Found a Zone/Dealer Chart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 01:27 PM

PHS is the best I know of. They can provide thorough documentation based on your VIN. Is it worth it? I think so.

1966 TriPower, 4 spd, PHS documented.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Phs

The value of the PHS Documentation depends on what your objective is: are you restoring the GTO and want to know what options were original to the car? If you buy the PHS you get a copy of the options that were ordered on your GTO (including the original prices, and the name and address of the dealer), plus a bunch of fluff. It's pretty expensive for what little data you actually get, but for a restorer it can be an invaluable resource.

On the other hand, if you want historic information on the '67 GTOs you're much better off looking at those books about the GTO that are available from a Bookseller (like Amazon.com).

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Other than providing options, that PHS will determine if the car is a GTO or not.

When shelling out $$$ on a car and relying on just the word of someone you don't know ........ The money spent on the PHS MAY save you a lot of money if you end up buying a fraud.

The PHS is very valuable as it will identify the car. ESPECIALLY on the years the GTO shared the same VINs as non GTOs......

Getting a GTO? Get the PHS FIRST. Shelling out a lot of money on a GTO then for 75.00 that will identify that car not get it because it because it costs too much? That be the best 75.00 you spent. In time if you want to sell the car ...... One of the first questions a prospected GTO enthusiast will ask you: Do you have the PHS?

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Agree on the value of phs. I have researched 64 GTOs for about 18 month. I would not even start really investigating the car without seeing or buying the phs first. There are other great resources for identifying block,head, axel ,etc codes. One is pontiac power. It is good to verify date code with car. On the forum there is a cowl tag decoder which works very well. These are no cost. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Other than providing options, that PHS will determine if the car is a GTO or not.
On a 67 model, the VIN will tell you if it is a GTO or not.

But I agree, the PHS is nice to have to verify how the car came from the factory. Of course, the cowl tag on a 67 gives you a lot of info as well.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 11:37 PM

Phs

I have known about PHS for a long time and to me its worth the price. I will be placing an order soon to get the stats on my new old 65 LEMANS i just purchased but i do agree the fax/purchase process is a bit of a pain or it would already be done. I just have to get to a fax machine.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Monte Slim View Post
On a 67 model, the VIN will tell you if it is a GTO or not.

But I agree, the PHS is nice to have to verify how the car came from the factory. Of course, the cowl tag on a 67 gives you a lot of info as well.
I was referencing GTOs that shared the same VIN and how the P H S would be necessary to identify it as one.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
I was referencing GTOs that shared the same VIN and how the P H S would be necessary to identify it as one.
I see how that could be a problem for those who own those model years where GTO was an option and not a separate model.

I can see where "clones" are common with these models and some form of authentication would be required. PHS would be the best source for this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Monte Slim View Post
I see how that could be a problem for those who own those model years where GTO was an option and not a separate model.

I can see where "clones" are common with these models and some form of authentication would be required. PHS would be the best source for this.
Agreed. In fact, my one is a true GTO according to the plates and tags. As far as it is my concern, I primarily want to know something about this specific car's history, since I don't have the original titles or other docs prior export to Europe and registration in Germany

Well I will think about it once more...

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Kind regards
Sascha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in