hood springs for 72 gto hood? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
hood springs for 72 gto hood?

I have a set of hood springs that the guy I bought my 72 Lemans conv. from gave me. The front clip was off the car. But, they are marked 68-72 GM A body. He got these from a friend , because I asked where the hood springs were and he didn't have them. I know I've read not to use the heavy duty springs on the GTO hood. I was curious if these would not be correct. Does anyone know how to identify by spring wire diameter or length? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 03:04 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
'71-72 Pontiac A-bodys with the endura nose used a heavier duty spring on each hood hinge than do all other '68-72 Pontiac A-body hood hinges. Definitely, do not want to use the heavier duty springs with the lighter standard duty hoods. Another point, along with proper lubrication on good hood hinges, it's always smart to walk the hood down a little on each side versus pushing or slamming from the front center area. If you can take some good detailed pics of the hood hinges, I can try & identify.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I have them at work bead blasting them. I took the springs off. The hinges were in decent looking shape, but the hidden rust in the pivot areas caused them to be stuck. I WD those areas and worked them free. I couldn't move them to start with. I can only assume the spring may be the difference in the tension for the different hood designs?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 11:28 AM

The style of spring is the only difference on the complete hinges used on original '71-72 GTO/ T41 nose cars versus the ones used on chrome bumper LeMans & '68-70 GTO's. Sounds like you have a handle on the situation of getting them loose. Hopefully, no excessive wear. I need to mike the thickness of both styles of springs & post the results.

Of note, Pontiac is the only GM division A-body whose hood hinges interchange from '68-72. All the other GM divisions had their own design 68-72 A-body hood hinges, with '68 only, '69 only, & '70-72 versions. Have boxes & boxes full of hood hinges, mainly Pontiac usage, with some Olds hinges, some are tagged as they worked effortlessly on the partscar they were mounted on. Other hood hinges need to bolted to fenders, then a hood mounted & see what's up with their operation.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

I hope the hinge was a 68-72 A body hinge for a Pontiac since he got it from his friend who had parts.
The spring itself is a wire diameter of .225, length of spring end to end is 9.350 and outside diameter of coil is 1.430. Would this sound correct?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 07:11 AM

put it on the list to mike original hood springs, will ck back in.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Were you able to find any dimensions yet Pinion Head?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in