hood springs - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hood springs

I have moved on to my next task on the goat. This is a pretty meaningless task but i am curious what different methods you guys use to change the hood springs. I have done this before using large channel locks but the car was not a real nice one so damaging the top of the fender didnt cross my mind. Im starting to become a little safer as i get older and dont want to slip and damage hood or fender. any suggestions or preferred methods?

Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Pretty redneck, but I use a big loop of very strong rope. Loop one end over the hooked end of the spring, put both hands through the other end and pull. It takes some muscle but you can lift the end of the spring off the hooked end of the hinge and then gradually relax tension on it. That's the best way I've found to do it and keep the spring under positive control the whole time. If you're iffy on one spring being able to hold your hood up, get a buddy to hold it up for safety (best) or block it up with something. if you choose the latter option, just make sure you do it securely so that the inevitable 'wiggling' as you're pulling the spring off doesn't dislodge whatever you use and leave you in a very interesting situation...

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 08:25 AM

hood springs

Go over to the Dollar Store and buy a pack of Popsicle sticks. Raise the hood about 18", look at the spring from the side of the car close to the hinge, coils should now start separating. Prop the hood up to keep it from accidentally closing. Start inserting the sticks in between the coils insert as many as you can , hood can always be lifted slightly to obtain better coil spread. Remove the hood prop and start to put the hood down, best if you have a helper but can be done by yourself with shorter hood prop. Always insure that hood will not slam down. Go around to the hinge, reach in and grab onto the spring, as the coils can not longer retract because of the stick spacers the spring coil remains longer and now becomes loose, then remove off the hinge.

To replace with a new spring the use of a floor jack is required. Loop one end of the spring onto the axle at the front of the jack and place the other end onto the lift plate. Start jacking, the spring will now start spreading. Again, place Popsicle sticks between the coils, try to fill most of the coils. Slowly release the jack and spring will now come loose with the sticks stuck between the coils. You should now be able to replace the new spring onto the hinge. Once installed raise the hood and the spring will now start to stretch, sticks will loosen and fall out. Some folks use large washers but I find the sticks will not cause any paint damage when they fall onto the inner fender.

Used this method on two of my cars a few years back and worked well.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Popsicle sticks... Genius!

Makes me want to go remove my hood springs just to try this.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

the popsicle stick advice worked like a dream. thx nineteen 65. took 10 minutes per side. I also think a ratchet strap would work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150909_170416.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	64249   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150909_181241.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	627.3 KB
ID:	64257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150909_183758.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	547.0 KB
ID:	64265  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in