Horns - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Horns

Well I just discovered that neither the horns on my 67 GTO work. I refused to believe this until I painstaking removed both of them and then tested them by running a 12v wire to the horn terminal and touching the horn bracket to the neg. side of the battery. Nothing from either one of them. So if anybody has any horns for a 67 GTO please let me know. I am willing to pay for them. The only thing is they need to be working.

thanks
alan

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 08:12 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
There should be an adjusting screw used to change the tone of the horn. It should be near the bracket as I recall, but if not look for it. I have in the past played around with this adjusting screw and got a horn working again. Try screwing it in/out and test it with your 12 volts. The guts might just be stuck. If you are going to replace them, I'd also drop it on the ground a few times as that may also jar the guts loose.

There is a video on YouTube pulling a GM horn apart and looking inside. The guy gets it going again, but never puts it back together. Might be another option to disassemble it, clean it up, and then reassemble - if you destroy it, you were going to replace it anyway.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thanks for your advise. Scott gave me the same advice yesterday. I tried it and it worked. Both my horns now work. Thanks for all the help. Scott and PontiacJim.

Alan

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
a/c heater wiring

http://www.wallaceracing.com/68wir6.jpg

hope this helps

Wallace Racing - Wiring Diagrams

Scott

SWEET glad you got em honkin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in