Horsepower Gain from Pertronix Ignitor III - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Horsepower Gain from Pertronix Ignitor III

I've heard and read the claims of increased HP from the ignitor III (which makes perfect sense) but haven't found a dyno chart anywhere online. Anyone have an idea of the actual gain from one of these units? Preferably someone who's done a before and after dyno run.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
much like the claims some spark plug manufacturers make, the only way you will gain horsepwer is if your old points system was faulty or out of adjustment. a properly tuned points system will produce equal HP to an electronic ignition. the benifit of electronic ignition is that there is no tuning. no dwell meter etc. SIMPLICITY RELIABILITY. no hp gain.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 PM

they may have addressed this, but the ignitor i ran back in the day had stiff wires running to it. when the vacuum advance moves the ignitor it caused the wires to flex back and forth and eventually break.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's the claim:

'The Pertronix Ignitor III is the advanced points replacement kit. It is literally an ignition box inside your distributor. It features multiple sparks throughout the entire RPM range and a high resolution REV limiter accurate to +/- 50 RPM which is set by the user. The Ignitor III module generates 5 times more spark than points. This of course means more spark energy creating more horsepower and better mileage. Ignition box performance without the box."

By reading the above, it appears to me that, how could it not increase hp. A hotter spark that generates a better more complete burn should equal more hp, IMO. Exactly how much is another story. You would have to dyno before and after to get exact numbers like was originally asked by the OP. With this unit you also need to run a hotter coil......

They did address the stiff wires.

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires

Last edited by 68greengoat; 12-30-2009 at 10:07 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:40 AM

Sounds like P T Barnum is still alive.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
spark is spark, you'll get it from any plug, wire, ignition system, etc. however, spark advance at higher rpm WILL increase HP. That's how little 600cc motorcycles are pumping out over 120 horses these days at 16000+ rpm.

so...anyone have an answer?

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
You're missing the point, it provides MULTPUL sparks per compression stoke. This burns more of the fuel in the cyl making more power.
Every person I've installed an MSD unit into was impressed with the faster starts and increased seat of your pants performance indicator. No dyno runs though.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:04 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
I think it would not increase power UNLESS you had a marginal points/condensor set-up to begin with. If your plugs are all firing, and you have no sign of misfire, multiple sparks at the same time would make no real difference. I Ithink if you had partially fouled plugs, the hotter multiple spark set-up would give you an advantage. In cold weather, it would probably give a faster start-up and more complete burn. Probably. Sort of like synthetic oil: no real advantage, except when it gets really hot: mineral based oil cokes up at high temps, synthetic doesn't, so if you overheat, you have an extra margin of safety for your engine. I run stock Delco DP!!2P points in both of my GTO's, and have for thirty years without problems. Problem now is finding quality ignition points these days! Main advantage I see is no maintenence, no dwell change as points wear, and convenience. Probably a good upgrade, just one I never seem to get around to.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The advantage of the electronic trigger over the points/condenser set is that the 'dwell' (look up 'coil saturation')is not variable. Thus more consistent and equal ignition time for each firing cylinder. So you get better performance because the 'burn time' of each cylinder is the same. Of course that is directly related to the carb tune and manifold flow. Short answer yes it is a better more reliable system. Happy new year all!

1964 400 4 speed Roller cammed RoadRacer
1969 400 T400 auto 2nd owner
2004 LS1 6 speed modded for roadracing
1966 GTO Altered wheelbase former 1970s show car
1973 Challenger 360/727
1931 Ford Model A
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 646904GTO View Post
The advantage of the electronic trigger over the points/condenser set is that the 'dwell' (look up 'coil saturation')is not variable. Thus more consistent and equal ignition time for each firing cylinder. So you get better performance because the 'burn time' of each cylinder is the same. Of course that is directly related to the carb tune and manifold flow. Short answer yes it is a better more reliable system. Happy new year all!
Short answer yes it is a better more reliable system

the reason you dont see a dyno comparison is that there is an insignificant difference if any at all. i can assure you that if there were substantial gains pertronics would pop an engine on the dyno and show you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in