Hot Rod magazine "redeems" itself, maybe? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Hot Rod magazine "redeems" itself, maybe?

Pontiac Jim did a post about HRM doing a goofy article about engine block size Hot Rod mag - Pontiac, small Big Block? . I missed that article but take Jim's take on it to heart. In the Jan 2016 issue HRM does an article (by Marlan Davis, an older guy who seems to really know what he's talking about) on Pontiac engine mounts. A reader inquired about the difficulty of putting a '79 6.6 engine into a mid '60's Pontiac and so the problem of 2 vs 3 vs 5 engine mount bolt holes comes up. Davis does a good article using a kit and tech info from Ames Performance to adapt the later engine to the earlier Pontiac. I thought they did Pontiac right with this article.

Another earlier issue of Hot Rod did a good Pontiac article about replacing the troubled "slim jim' Hydramatic in a '60 Pontiac with a later model TH400 and showing the adapter installation and fabricating a new tail-shaft housing crossmember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:46 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
I figured they must have been listening. In addition, they showcased the Pontiac powered "Grasshopper" Model A all in the same edition.

What I would really like to see is a NEW magazine titled B-O-P that is exclusive to Buick, Olds, & Pontiac's only. I don't think there would be much of a problem to put together a magazine of this type and issue it Quarterly - I'd subscribe. My only fear is that they would taint it with too many LS conversions and Chevy parts vendors. I could be OK with an LS conversion every blue moon, but any more than that and I would have to drop my subscription. I think there are still enough original B-O-P cars of all years/types out there with people rebuilding, swapping, or modifying original factory engines that there should be enough of them not to need an LS conversion - but I am realistic.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dad big nova guy, drove them from when he got his liscense in early 70 to when my brother was born in 87. Said it got too expensive to feed us and buy car parts with out a second job. His brother big Pontiac guy, had a judge a 66 convert and beautiful Bonneville early 60s my guess. The stories of them racing each other,add sibling rivalry to racing you could imagine. I was building a 67 Chevelle when my uncle passed, I sold it bought the GTO and my dad and I trailered it back to Michigan for the funneral. In the process I became a pontiac guy. I grew up with no knowledge on these cars. And with modern times all gm had corporate motors so I figured it had always been that way.point being a go fund me page to start a magazine like that might be a good idea. Information is valuable, and there are a lot of us early 30s out there trying to break in to this world. Something to show where the start was and where you can take it with good solid advice links and articles would be wonderful. There seems to been enough people who actually have knowledge to guest write. So yeah let's start a magazine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in