User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I understand what you are looking for. I know of a 1967 GTO that might fit your needs. Please email me at: [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I understand what you are looking for. I know of a 1967 GTO that might fit what you are looking for in a driver type of vehicle. If interested, please email me at : [email protected]. Thanks...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:43 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I've been using my GTO's as daily drivers for almost 40 years. I've put over 130,000 miles on my '67 convertible alone. When properly maintained, and if kept in good condition, these cars are as or more reliable than contemporary vehicles. They have more wind noise, and are more primitive, and don't have cup holders. That said, they are comfortable and reliable. I dropped the compression in my '67 to about 9:1 by installing 87cc cylinder heads. I also installed a 2.56 rear gear for high speed driving and economy. I consistently get over 20 mpg at 75-80 mph. If you get a stock early GTO, it will not be happy on CA 91 octane fuel. The compression needs to come down or the octane will need to be raised. I have an '05 Toyota pickup as my 'new' vehicle, but the newest CAR I've ever owned is my '67 GTO. Hope this helps. My cars are all points ignition and carbureted, BTW.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Over the last few months I put a few 1000 miles on my 72. It has a five speed now so cruising on the highway is actually pleasant. It still has the bone stock engine so almost any gas will work without issues.

I am only concerned about leaving anywhere and having it dinged up, scratched or maybe stolen. No surprise there is little respect for anyone’s property these days. Mechanically and comfort wise, I enjoy the purely “analog” experience… ( Ok, it does have a modern stereo).. Oh- no…I didn’t hack up the original dash…
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:45 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
The '71 on up cars have the advantage of lower compression and run fine on today's gas. The '64-'70 cars, not so much!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Nine years driving after restoration without a door ding ( crossing my fingers, and knocking on the wood dash). I always park away and walk but it never fails i will come out and there is a car next to me. Always someone that wanted to check it out so they have respect for it. half the time they catch me and ends up in a story of how their dad/uncle had one just like it back in the day and they remember it as a kid. three have turned into serious offers for the car. if i could drive it all year i would not want it to be show quality but as nice a body and finish as i could afford knowing it may take some road and lot wear from being daily driven. Most people do have respect for a classic, but no use chancing it over a little exercise walking from the back of the lot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in