How fast for $5000 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How fast for $5000

On another forum we are having a bit of an informal contest. Who can go the fastest with an absolute maximum of $5k. I could go the easy route and drop a cheaper engine in my 79 Formula that is already set up. I have around $1300 in the body and transmission. That would leave me enough room for a new 455.

I rather like the idea of taking a different car, and making it work with parts I have laying around. That 65 LeMans is looking like a good candidate at this point since it will share some parts with the 65 GTO. I have a $150 9" rear with 3.55 gears that will fit under it, then build the 400 block I picked up for $100 with the 48 heads a few years ago into a 428 or a 496, one of the Th400s laying around with an old stall. If I can get that LeMans light enough and make it hook, mid 11s wouldnt be very difficult. Just can I build a stroked 400 for less than $3k... with the parts I have laying around, I bet I can.

What do you guys think? Most people assume Pontiac is the most expensive way to go fast, this would be a good way to show that isnt always the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 02:56 PM

Garage
I think you can. 461 stroker crank,pistons, rods is $1600 or so. I talked to a racing machine shop and he said it drops in, no block clearancing or anything. $400 for block prep, bore, tank, cam bearings and gaskets, that's $2k. $500 for Hydraulic/solid cam, lifters and springs-- no roller cam in your budget. Or if you already have a good set of valve springs, cam and lifters $125 or so. $?? for head work and spring install. Gasket set. Then intake/carb/dizzy that you already have and you are all over it. Are you actually going to build it, then get together to race them? That would be cool.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I have an old UltraDyne cam, the 288/296, about four sets of used 995 Comp springs. So that is covered, provided I can break in the cam and not get a flat lobe, and yeah it will get new lifters. I think I can pull it off even if I go with a 4.5" crank and those kits run just under $2k. I could use the 3.00 gears then and have a nice street car when its done. With my pile of parts really the only cost would be the crank kit and machine work.

I have a 71 Ventura at the farm, needs a bunch of work but its an all manual car, with minimal rust, so it could be very light very easy. I have a 9" posi to fit that one too.. I traded a pair of bucket seats for the car, I bought those for $20. Or the 71 T37 I got for $175, but its heavier. A more work but lighter option would be the 75 Buick Skyhawk I got for $50 back in 98. No shortage of cars to do this, but most of them are back home in Nebraska.

It is getting its own section on that forum, and two of the guys who are involved with a couple big gear head magazines are privy to it. You might see it in a magazine next year, there is talk of doing Drag Week with them. I will go if I can get E85 along the route, Id rather not pull a trailer of home brew around.

Even if we dont get together to run side by side, we will all make passes at our closest tracks and compare. The only thing that concerns me is a 4.8/5.3 LS engine with some chineese turbos stuck in something light that hooks good..

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
i like the Ventura....just like a nova they are light and quick had a 72' NOva 350/350 that used to give the GT guys fits because it was a granny 6 banger originally tan/green interior and all i did was stick my centerlines on it with sticky rubber. the motor was from a elcamino i totalled and i sold it to this guy for 400.00 he put it in the Nova and lost his license within a month and i bought the whole car back from him for 450.00. Throw a few chinese turbos on that 400 if you have a few bucks left have seen a few turbo pontiacs there was one 63 Tempest that was a bucket with huge twin turbos and would run in the 8's
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Had a sweet Ventura years back, the wife got it because the sales man said it had a 350 in it and she'd never owned one. Turns out it had the Olds 260!! Don't hit passing gear at 60 cause if you did you were slowing down even with the car floored!!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Hhmmm.. a budget turbo 400 sounds interesting. Only need some good rods and new pistons then I can use a set of the large chamber heads. I would have to modify a Holley to blow through, because there is no way a Qjet is going to keep up with a turbo and E85, it just wont flow enough fuel.. Least I am pretty sure about it. That is no problem I have two Performers, an RPM and two Torker II intakes all of them can fit a Holley, of which I have several, plus a Demon 850.

Running E85 means more exhaust volume and no need for an intercooler, plus its cheap and makes more power. That is one hell of an idea, how cheap can I get a couple turbos?

Was just thinking, does anyone have a couple rear exit manifolds? I could turn them around and have them exit the front, then run a short section of pipe to the hairdryer(s) or perhaps use a stock Y pipe from a single exhaust setup and one big honkin turbo ala HO Racing from the 70s. My stock stuff is limited, not sure how much is left.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 06:57 PM

about 120 each...that would be badass

turbocharger | eBay

here is the Tempest i was talking about

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_07.html
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Install a supercharger.....?

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Garage
$199 for a 1000 hp potential turbo, wonder how long it could last?
850 demon should feed it, and low compression is good. New challenge, how fast for $1000? lol..
It would be restrictive, but what if you picked it up after the Y pipe, installed the turbo in the passenger seat area, inside the car, routed the cool air forward, S the hot air back out?? Or put it in the back seat, put a box over it. to hide it. Then run some PVC or a Spectre air cleaner like G8ters to inlet the air, tell people you used the cowl to pick up the cold air.. Or run 4" PVC solid to the air cleaner with some cover over to look like a CAI. Custom Y pipe, 2.5 down pipes, then 3.5 Y and out to concealed turbo. I was thinking the rear mount turbo for my Vette, but thought a big puddle in the rain would lock it up due to temp change, that's why the internal mounting. Have the car pick up air inside the car, have to have the windows down..
Turbo lag, at least you have a Poncho torque to get you going til the turbo spools..
You could also runs dumps before and after the turbo under the car, then install a pipe there to take the turbo out of the loop between drag week runs. And disco the CAI under the hood, best of both worlds and a temp turbo. Could even swap to an economy carb with power valve for road trips to get MPG.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

Last edited by jetstang; 08-06-2011 at 08:08 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM

for the challenge the turbo only needs to last a day at the races...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in