How to get wiper arms down after turning them off? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How to get wiper arms down after turning them off?

What's the secret to getting the wipers to continue their last sweep and then stop on the lowered position after turning the switch off?

I have to keep turning mine on and off to get the arms down to lay on the horizontal plane.

I used search but didn't find an answer.

Thank you.
AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
This is supposed to be an automatic function of the wiper motor. There's a mechanism inside it that operates a relay, such that when the switch is turned off it will continue to feed power to the motor until a cam rotates to the right position to open a set of points and stop the motor. If yours isn't working that way, then I'd say the most likely cause is that either the motor is wired incorrectly (try reversing the connector), there's a problem in the wiring harness itself, or that mechanism inside the motor has failed.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
This is supposed to be an automatic function of the wiper motor. There's a mechanism inside it that operates a relay, such that when the switch is turned off it will continue to feed power to the motor until a cam rotates to the right position to open a set of points and stop the motor. If yours isn't working that way, then I'd say the most likely cause is that either the motor is wired incorrectly (try reversing the connector), there's a problem in the wiring harness itself, or that mechanism inside the motor has failed.

Bear
Thanks Bear...........I'll see if I can reverse the connector.........I'll start there

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It is nothing as drastic as the motor being wired incorrectly or the mechanism going bad. It is just a bad ground. One of your three mounting screws has a small ground strap that is attached directly to the wiper motor. Remove that mounting screw and make sure you don't have any paint or surface rust on the washer or the screw or the strap. The strap is roughly 1/2" wide by 1" long and is on the bottom mounting hole. The ground is what allows the wipers to return to "park" position.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy389 View Post
It is nothing as drastic as the motor being wired incorrectly or the mechanism going bad. It is just a bad ground. One of your three mounting screws has a small ground strap that is attached directly to the wiper motor. Remove that mounting screw and make sure you don't have any paint or surface rust on the washer or the screw or the strap. The strap is roughly 1/2" wide by 1" long and is on the bottom mounting hole. The ground is what allows the wipers to return to "park" position.
Alright...now that's a suggestion I can try.............stay tuned for an update.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I made the assumption that if it was a ground problem, the motor wouldn't run at all but yes, it's always important to verify your grounds.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
I made the assumption that if it was a ground problem, the motor wouldn't run at all but yes, it's always important to verify your grounds.

Bear
Thanks for the post Bear...I need to remove the arm and pull the motor from the firewall and see if there is a strap for a ground or what?

I received boxes of parts for this car, some as small as a zerk fitting. I can attest the former owner knew how to take a car apart but not so much how to put things back together....and nothing is labeled.
I just had a friend of mine find my vibration in the drive line. Turns out there are 2 C clips that go behind 2 of the caps that lock the U joint in. Thankfully hard mud was all that kept the U joint caps from working out from under the straps.

I come home and find 2 C clips in the bucket of parts...........so.....maybe there's some sort of ground strap that the previous owner removed and never replaced. He never put grounding straps back on from engine to firewall. All this is making me check every nut and bolt on the vehicle.

Thanks again..........I'll let you know what and if I find anything.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmusclecar View Post
Thanks for the post Bear...I need to remove the arm and pull the motor from the firewall and see if there is a strap for a ground or what?

I received boxes of parts for this car, some as small as a zerk fitting. I can attest the former owner knew how to take a car apart but not so much how to put things back together....and nothing is labeled.
I just had a friend of mine find my vibration in the drive line. Turns out there are 2 C clips that go behind 2 of the caps that lock the U joint in. Thankfully hard mud was all that kept the U joint caps from working out from under the straps.

I come home and find 2 C clips in the bucket of parts...........so.....maybe there's some sort of ground strap that the previous owner removed and never replaced. He never put grounding straps back on from engine to firewall. All this is making me check every nut and bolt on the vehicle.

Thanks again..........I'll let you know what and if I find anything.
On my car there was only one ground strap from the firewall to the back of the head and it had been replaced with a piece of #12 single strand.
I ordered the ground strap kit which came with 3 straps and hardware.
I think one of the other ones goes from the frame to the firewall on the passenger side but I have no idea about the 3rd one.
I have the engine out and found one of the bolts that holds the PS pump to the bracket in the tranny pump.
The 3 that hold the torque converter to the flex plate was a merry mix up from who knows where.
I ordered the correct ones from Ames.
Same with the PS pump cupped, washer missing and some Home Depot bolts so I ordered the bolt kit for that.
Timing cover was a mess, metric bolts in there and when I pulled the pump the threads came out with it.
I don't know who the clown was that worked on this car but if he didn't use the wrong bolt he stripped out threads.
I had to use 2 Keenserts in the tranny and order all new bolts and washers.
If you have never used these give them a try you will never go back to helicoils.

Keensert
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
On my car there was only one ground strap from the firewall to the back of the head and it had been replaced with a piece of #12 single strand.
I ordered the ground strap kit which came with 3 straps and hardware.
I think one of the other ones goes from the frame to the firewall on the passenger side but I have no idea about the 3rd one.
I have the engine out and found one of the bolts that holds the PS pump to the bracket in the tranny pump.
The 3 that hold the torque converter to the flex plate was a merry mix up from who knows where.
I ordered the correct ones from Ames.
Same with the PS pump cupped, washer missing and some Home Depot bolts so I ordered the bolt kit for that.
Timing cover was a mess, metric bolts in there and when I pulled the pump the threads came out with it.
I don't know who the clown was that worked on this car but if he didn't use the wrong bolt he stripped out threads.
If you have never used these give them a try you will never go back to helicoils.

Keensert
Maybe the same guy owned both our cars......I found the wrong transmission mount bolts used.....I thought THAT was my vibration. It cured some but not all. With the 2 C clips reinstalled that problem is solved. But like you, I find all sorts of fasteners used in the wrong places...
It's fun when I find the right part or bolt in the boxes of parts, frustrating when I can't find item specific bolts like the ones for the wiper motor to the firewall install. The former owner probably used them on his Toyota.....
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
car but if he didn't use the wrong bolt he stripped out threads.

Keensert
I watched the Keensert video, pretty cool...........how's the cost versus helicoil?

For some items I will have the no expense spared mentality, for simple ones, I like to save for future costs.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in