Hurst Dual Gate Problem. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hurst Dual Gate Problem.

I am a new member, I recently purchased a 1970 GTO 455 with a TH400. It came with what I'm assuming is a 1968 Hurst Dual Gate which shifts like its stuck in molasses. I was surprised that there was no support from Hurst, or should I say the current owner of Hurst, for repair, rebuild etc. I see they are available as "new" units but I'm wondering if I should try to go back to what originally came in the car (if I can find a good one) or if there is a good aftermarket other than Hurst.

By way of introduction my former self was a British car guy, the GTO found me (as all good cars do) and I couldn't pass it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
i would try de-greasing and cleaning it all first, also check that the cable is not kinked, or a cut in the sleeve causing rust. Even a small kink in the cable can cause them to act up and if its oxidized in the sheath it will be sticky like you describe. Shiftworks makes a very nice replacement cable thicker and more flexible than the GM ones. Probably the only aftermarket part i have found that is better than the original. They also will have everything you need if you decide to go to the 70's shifter. The 70 shifter also has a shift stop for manual shifting. Its much simpler than the dual gate, push the handle towards the right fender while slapping it up one gear. Did not have near the "cool" factor as the hurst though.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Instg8tor nailed it again.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 09:06 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
X3. 95% liklihood the cable is bad. The shifter itself: nah.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

This car has less than 2K miles since the rebuild-hence it has not been sorted out yet. I'll start at the cable and work my way up to the shifter. If it is the shifter it sounds like a good winter project.
Thanks for the advice.

GH
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Sometimes a bad engine ground can cause the vehicle to use the trans cable as a ground, and the insulation on the trans cable will be melted, with stiff shifter operation. Remove the cable at both ends and verify that it moves freely within the housing. These cables are not lubricated, nor are they supposed to be. Should move very freely.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
^ Had that happen on my 71 Duster once GeeTee, except it was the throttle cable...............
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 05:30 AM

I had the issue years ago on a 69 Grand Prix. Bad engine ground, but what it did to the cable was magnetize it from the ground current running through it (!). I'd have never figured it out had I not dropped one end into my fastener stash spilled on the floor. I bolted 2 copper mesh type grounds from the heads to the firewall and installed a new cable. Funny thing was, a year later it did it again. I never did figure it out and sold the car to buy a 74 Chevy panel van (70s shaggin wagon )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in