I need some help on a couple of things... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I need some help on a couple of things...

Well first, the easy (stupid thing I should know) question.

I will be bringing home the engines tomorrow. What thread size bolts do I need to A. use for the chain to get them back off the trailer (each person I am getting an engines from has a hoist - I just bought mine last night) B. length of bolts of this thread size will I need to put both engines on their stands?

Stupid I know right?

And second, Anyone live in or around Cleveland? My parts luck has continued to hold out and I was wondering if someone would check out a 69 valence for me and if it's nice purchase it (I will of course PAYPAL you the money first) and then hang on to it for me till I can afford shipping?

Thanks in advance all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 AM

3/8 16 bolts for chains and stand. As for the engine stand you need them to be the thickness of the flange on the stand plus 3/4 of an inch. You can add washes at the head of the bolt if they are to long. If you have a Menard's they have a much better bolt selection for length and type, then Lowe's and Home Depot. I go to a local tool supplier for my bolts. He has a better selection then most hardware stores. The factory bolts that you use on the tranny to the block with some washers will work well for the chain. You can bolt them in to the front sides and back side of the heads across the block at an angle.

66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by likethat View Post
3/8 16 bolts for chains and stand. As for the engine stand you need them to be the thickness of the flange on the stand plus 3/4 of an inch. You can add washes at the head of the bolt if they are to long. If you have a Menard's they have a much better bolt selection for length and type, then Lowe's and Home Depot. I go to a local tool supplier for my bolts. He has a better selection then most hardware stores. The factory bolts that you use on the tranny to the block with some washers will work well for the chain. You can bolt them in to the front sides and back side of the heads across the block at an angle.
Thanks man! I have a Nuts & Bolts True Value on the corner that stocks chrome engine bolts in all sizes. I will probably just go up there.

And yea I know WHERE to bolt the chains just didn't know which bolts to buy and since I sold my 389 a couple weeks ago I had nothing to go and check it on. Yea nice advance planning.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 AM

I also have an old 31 10.50r15 truck tire that is off the rim. I put the big part of oil pan in the center of the tire so the harmonic balancer is on the tread in the back of the truck. then ratchet strap the whole thing down so it doesnt move.

67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by likethat View Post
I also have an old 31 10.50r15 truck tire that is off the rim. I put the big part of oil pan in the center of the tire so the harmonic balancer is on the tread in the back of the truck. then ratchet strap the whole thing down so it doesnt move.
AWESOME

We ALL do these things the same and don't even know it ya know?
The guy that came and got my 389 brought a big tractor tire to put it in in the back of his truck to cradle it when he ratcheted it down. I have an old truck tire for the 455 and tranny and an old dodge tire for the 400! And about 10 ratchet straps!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:20 PM

There is a right way and a wrong

67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Do yourself a favor and dont get the cheapest bolts possible. I use threaded rod cut to length with a couple nuts and some washers. It depends on which stand you have as to how long they need to be. I like at least half an inch of threads in the block.

I have a number of engine cradles that I use to hold engines that arent in cars. I still have bare blocks sitting around and some on the floor, but eventually all of them will have a cradle and wheels under them, or they will go in cars/get scrapped. They are easy to build, I can get you dimensions if you like.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455 View Post
Do yourself a favor and dont get the cheapest bolts possible. I use threaded rod cut to length with a couple nuts and some washers. It depends on which stand you have as to how long they need to be. I like at least half an inch of threads in the block.

I have a number of engine cradles that I use to hold engines that arent in cars. I still have bare blocks sitting around and some on the floor, but eventually all of them will have a cradle and wheels under them, or they will go in cars/get scrapped. They are easy to build, I can get you dimensions if you like.
Yea that would be great Thumpin, I just got a couple of the 1000lb capacity stands from Harbor Freight. Figured they'd work as well as anything.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:55 PM

Garage
I ended up with a couple shopping carts, I cut the basket off and use the bottom with the rack on it to hold an engine, works great and rolls around nice. I also have some dollys', but is a nice cheap extra stand.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in