I Need some help with my 68 GTO clone - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I Need some help with my 68 GTO clone

I just piced up a 68 LeMans convertible at MECUM in Kissimmee, FL. The previous owner paid a shop to make it into a GTO. The original car is in imaculate condition. There is not a spot of rust or corrosion anywhere I can find. The body shop did a superb job on the paintwork.

They changed the hood to a GTO hood and added all the correct badges on the grille, fenders, and trunk.

The interior is in great original condition. The gauge panel has been repainted and a new woodgrain decal applied, but not to my satisfaction. I will be touching up the edges and getting rid of the aftermarket radio.

I ordered the GTO tail lights and housings, along with GTO door badges and some other items to make the car a 10.

What I am wondering, is what do you guys see that I need to change to complete the transformation.

I am not a big "poser" when it comes to classics, but I figured it would be easier to complete the transformation, rather than go back to a LeMans.

I could not get the original hood with the car, but I did get the original 14" wheels and wire spoke hub caps that came on the car.

Any help you guys can give me would be great.

The car has a 400 with a TH350 transmission. Both have been rebuilt and the car runs great. The drum brakes have all been rebuilt and it has all new bushings, ball joints, bearings, shocks, ect. I just bought new tie rods and an idler arm because these seem to be original, or at least not part of the restoration.

'68 LeMans "GTO" Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Nice looking car, aside from the tail light lens' all I see I would change is the steering wheel. I would also consider putting disc brakes all around on it.

Or just drive the wheels off that beautiful vert!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
Nice looking car, aside from the tail light lens' all I see I would change is the steering wheel. I would also consider disc brakes.

Or just drive the wheels off that beautiful vert!
And shoulder-and-lap seat belts. Good luck.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

I ordered the correct tail light housings and lenses as well as new parking light lenses and housings. This should step up the appearance outside.

I also ordered some Pontiac floor mats and the GTO badges for the door panels.

The brakes actually work very well. I am used to manual brakes on my Vettes, so these are just fine. I don't drive the Pontiac all that hard, really.

I have a ProTouring 72 Vette for the track!

I need to fix the gas gauge, and was considering Rally gauges, but for the money, I might want to upgrade to something electronic. Since 68 is a one year only on the dash, there is not much out there to choose from. I thought about trying to convert the Dakota Digital 67 GTO gauges for my 68

Has anybody done something like this?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The grills and headlight bezels are wrong and you are missing the front valence chrome trim. Your front bumper gap is way too big.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_198220.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	16847  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: I Need some help with my 68 GTO clone

Looks like he has a repro endura, the gap definitely needs some tweaking. Overall very nice looking car, I like the big Rally II's
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

It is actually a painted steel bumper, not an Endura bumper. I think those were called "Endura Delete" cars. I've only seen chrome versions, so maybe this should have been chrome.

The painter I bought it from said the gap is where it should be because the bumper will not flex when the body does. I am all for closing the gap. I need to adjust it a bit anyway.

Guys, I know next to nothing about GTO's and Pontiacs in general. I am a Corvette guy.

The guy I bought it from was not a GTO guy either, just a very good painter.

The car just spoke to me and I had to have it. I probably paid too much for it, but it wouldn't be the first time I did that.

The console shifter looks like it is for a Powerglide, but the car has a TH350 in it. I don't know whether I should get a His/hers shifter for it or just replace the shifter lense.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 PM

Garage
Very, very nice car. Same deal here, mine is also a '68 Le Mans convertible that was cloned into a GTO. Mine has the endure front bumper, there very hard to get adjusted correctly. Still not happy with the way mine looks, after several attempts at adjusting the bumper, fenders and hood. The chrome bumper cars had a piece of rubber that goes between the bumper and the fender to close the gap. I think there available through Ames Performance.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Nice car!!! I really like the red color. I'd like to see more pictures of your car.

Mine has the plastic/rubber gaskets between the bumper and hood/fenders. The painter replaced all of that when he did the paint job. I'm OK with the gap, I just need to move the bumper to the left about 3/8".

I can't decide if I want the chrome trim on the lower valence or not. I kinda like it without it for now.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM

Clones disgust me! So much so, in fact, that I'd be willing to come take it off your hands, for - um - disposal, so you won't have to drive it around!

That is a beautiful car! I love those 17" red lines. Are those Diamondbacks?

'67 GTO 400 H.O. - 4 speed - 3.55 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in